Storage problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dderemiah

Reaction score
I have a some problems with storage of my wine that I am trying deal with.

I bought three batches of grapes and of course the yield was not a multiple of 5 and I have 2 to 3 gallons extra of each type. All I have are gallon jugs and 5 gallon carboys. I don't have enough space to have 9 more gallon jugs sitting around. Am I stuck with things that way or should I just blend the types to fill a 5 gallon? Do I have to wait for secondary to finish or can I mix them before and let the secondary finish?

I would not mix them now. Ferment them dry and before bottling start to figure what % of each you will blend.
You did not say what the grapes were. Knowing that maybe we can give more info on blending them.
Best bet is to either get more carboys or 1 gallon jugs.

2 Gallons Zin
2 Gallons Syrah
3 Gallons Tempranillo

I got a couple 3Gal Better Bottles that I used one for the tempranillo.

That free'd up some space, but I need to build some shelves or something for the 1 gallon batches.

Got some 4L jugs. Carlo Rossi 4Liter wine went on sale for $6 a jug. Trying to figure out what to do with the wine, it's not very good.

You could mix it with some fruit wines and make a blend or somehow save it for topping up some red or white depending on what you bought or you can cook with it. Make a big pot of stew or a pot roast!

Latest posts

Back