Stopping fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Reaction score
I have a chenin from a juice bucket that took about 3 weeks to get from 1.092 SG to 1.020. It was stuck there for several days. I then added bentonite, EC 1118, and yeast nutrient. 2 weeks later I have progress and it is now at 1.002. Usually I ferment everything to dry but for this batch I would like to finish it to 1.000.

Is there any reason not to add potassium sorbate and pot metà at 1.000 and leave it in the carboy for a few months and then fine tuning the sweetening then? I will have to use sugar or grape juice concentrate as I neglected to hold any of then chenin must back for that purpose.

If the fermentation is active, sorbate will not stop it. Sorbate prevents a renewed fermentation.

Do you have the facilities to chill the wine below 40 F? If so, do it and let it set for a week. This will definitely stop the fermentation. If your acid is high it will also cause tartrates to crystalize and settle, which will help clear the wine.

Rack the wine while cold, and add sorbate and K-meta before it warms up. Let the wine rest at least a month (preferably longer) to ensure there is not a renewed fermentation.

That addresses your question. Personally, let the wine ferment to dry, clarify, and before bottling sweeten to taste and add sorbate. This method produces the same result and is easier to do.

If the fermentation is active, sorbate will not stop it. Sorbate prevents a renewed fermentation.

Do you have the facilities to chill the wine below 40 F? If so, do it and let it set for a week. This will definitely stop the fermentation. If your acid is high it will also cause tartrates to crystalize and settle, which will help clear the wine.

Rack the wine while cold, and add sorbate and K-meta before it warms up. Let the wine rest at least a month (preferably longer) to ensure there is not a renewed fermentation.

That addresses your question. Personally, let the wine ferment to dry, clarify, and before bottling sweeten to taste and add sorbate. This method produces the same result and is easier to do.

Thanks. I can refrigerate it. I will give a gallon of it a shat.

Latest posts

Back