Stopper Recovery (Spoiler Alert!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bolt (1/4" x 3" shown) has to be long enough to protrude beyond the mouth of the jug so you can grab it with a pair of pliers when you pull it up. The string makes pulling everything back up easy in the event if you should drop it. Slather a little vegetable oil inside the jug mouth/neck to really speed things up. Also not shown: I put a nut on the end of the bolt to give my pliers something the grip on. Probably optional. I'm a belt and suspenders type. Oh yes, and there is a washer under the head (hard to make out).

The bolt (1/4" x 3" shown) has to be long enough to protrude beyond the mouth of the jug so you can grab it with a pair of pliers when you pull it up. The string makes pulling everything back up easy in the event if you should drop it. Slather a little vegetable oil inside the jug mouth/neck to really speed things up. Also not shown: I put a nut on the end of the bolt to give my pliers something the grip on. Probably optional. I'm a belt and suspenders type. Oh yes, and there is a washer under the head (hard to make out).

Wait, you mean you intentionally install the bung from the inside? Or am I missing something still?

Last edited:
It looks like it would be easier with a string on it when you put it on the jug.

Someone in the vinters club was looking at a modern version of marbles, 1” plastic wine balls. Which got me wondering about a HDPE rod or other rod shape.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Joie-Reu...-007-177a57d640e580&athancid=null&athena=truebut then there is the question of getting it out.

I'm liking that idea, and you're right on time! At 0.75" O.D. those should just slide right in/out of my 1 gallon jugs! I see Amazon has the same idea in cubes and other shapes.

Somewhere on here there is a thread about using a plastic bag to get the bung back out. Think they got the bag down aroung the bung andpulled it back out. Never tried it but others did. Arne.

I've used the plastic bag trick and it worked well. You can find youtube videos if you need a visual. Put a plastic grocery bag in the carboy, keeping part of it hanging out obviously. Flip and tip the carboy until the stopper is entangled in the bag and then pull it out. Super simple, cheap and effective.

Latest posts

Back