Stoooopid newbie mistake...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo46307

Reaction score
I started my first non-kit 6 gallon batch using blackberry jam purchased at Wal-mart. The recipe I was following called for 3 16oz jars per gallon, along with 1lb of sugar per gallon.

First minor glitch...the jars at my Wal-mart are 18oz instead of 16oz...no big deal, some quick math (thank goodness I was wearing sandals :D), I get 16 jars instead of 18 jars.

Then, I decided to follow the recipe and just multiply by six...so 6lb's of sugar get diluted in water. Second glitch...don't add all the sugar water!! :) I've always added a little bit, then checked the SG, I don't know why I did it differently this time. Needles to say, the SG for the 6 gallons ended up being 1.132 :<

I have no problem with high alcohol adult beverages...but I'm not out to make 30 bottles of Mad Dog. So after some creative siphoning and H2O addition, I have 7 gallons of 1.096 Blackberry bubbling, and 1.5 gallons of 1.122 Blackberry racing fuel.

I think this batch is going to be a good learning experience. :b

Peace,
Bob

Hehehhe Bob,

You could always freeze the excess and dilute it later for another batch.

Allie

Sounds like with a little help you may be able to pull off a blackberry port if all goes well.

i haven't considered using jam's from walmart yet... I'm curious as to what brand you used ?

i haven't considered using jam's from walmart yet... I'm curious as to what brand you used ?

I forget the actual Wal-Mart brand name, I think it's "Quality Choice" or something to that ends...it was the Wal-mart in-house brand. It actually said "preserves"on the label, but, didn't have any preservatives present.

When I washed the jars, the labels fell right off, it wasn't a name brand I purchased, just the Wal-mart brand.

567698400_XHeDH-L.jpg

Peace,
Bob

P.S. It was only around $1.98 per jar that I paid...we'll see how it turns out, but it should be around a buck a bottle...Yeah, I'm a cheap bastige.

Peace, again,
Bob

Last edited:
Hey Gonzo,
The best wine I have made to date I tried to screw up three times ha ha. :)I'll bet you end up with some pretty good wine.:r Keep us updated.
Steve

Hey Gonzo,
The best wine I have made to date I tried to screw up three times ha ha. :)I'll bet you end up with some pretty good wine.:r Keep us updated.
Steve

It's the little things is life...isn't it. I'll let you know how it works out in a month or so...time will tell, as with all wine.

WOOT!,

Peace,
Bob

Amen brother
It is all I have left :(lol.:)

Dude, not knowing you're current situation, I hope all is well.

If not, I've lost people closest too me, like, my best friend, like my wife.

If you need to talk to someone, just let me know.

Peace,
Bob

Latest posts

Back