Stoneware jugs - 2 questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMkr

Reaction score
1.) Any reason I should avoid using stoneware jugs for wine storage, thinking

Last edited:
Rare now, but old ceramic glazes sometimes contain uranium or thorium compounds and, as sour said, will leach in acidic solutions.

Stoneware is normally used for pickling fermentation. Which results in acidic acid. I expect such containers will not reliably seal well enough for wine storage. I guess you can cork some, or pour paraffin around the lid to seal. But that gets complicated, fast, to guarantee an air tight seal.

Stoneware is normally used for pickling fermentation. Which results in acidic acid. I expect such containers will not reliably seal well enough for wine storage. I guess you can cork some, or pour paraffin around the lid to seal. But that gets complicated, fast, to guarantee an air tight seal.

Thanks to all who responded, kinda messed up this post by putting it in the wrong place then edited it in an attempt to remove!

Anyhow - here's what I'm thinking for stoneware:

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/housewares/kitchen/kitacc/Stoneware-Moonshine-Jugs.htm

I like the capacity, opacity and simplicity!!

I'm on the cusp of ordering a couple....

Where were they made? US/Canada? There have been reports of low-grade glaze being just fine for neutral liquids, but leaching nasties into acidic liquids.

Thanks for your response Paul! As I posted in the response above, I'm considering the moonshine jugs. They look fairly high quality to me! Maybe I'll shoot Ohio stoneware an email and find out whether their product can hold up to wine...

My 2 cents*: Due to opacity, hard to "see" when you got them cleaned up enough inside for the next batch.

* Which due to inflation, is not worth much anymore.....

If you're coming North to Canada, inflation is mitigated by our lower dollar so I'd say your two cents might go a long way up here! :h

Hmm...hadn't thought about "seeing" things in the bottle. I'm now kinda leaning towards finding some regular old glass 1/2 gallon + 1 gallon jugs.

Latest posts

Back