Stones with or without - cherries?

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Chris Mellor, Aug 10, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 10, 2019 #1

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Junior

A question...

Should the stones be removed from cherries or not?

I’ve seen a few different recipes for between 2kg to 3kg for a gallon. But some leave the stones in, others ask for their removal.

Now, as much as I find pitting cherries as cathartic as the next person, that’s a lot of cherries.

Maybe it’s better to ask...

What influence will the stones have on the finished product?

Thank you.

2. Aug 10, 2019 #2

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

3. Aug 10, 2019 #3

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

There may be a few exceptions, but unless the fruit is a "Berry" seeds and stones are not generally contributors of good things to fruit wines. (Grapes are another matter)

4. Aug 10, 2019 #4

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

* Yes there is cyanide in the stone, there are some stories of for example eating roasted apple seeds and poisoning oneself. It also is possible to eat the occasional apple seed and not get close to LD50 so we don’t worry about it.
    * The cherry stones are assumed to be intact and not leaking cyanide when they are left in the pulp much the same as when we eat cherries, gnaw the pulp off and spit out the stone. We worry more about a busted tooth than a pip which has gotten busted.
    * The best argument for pitting is that it is possible to press out more juice from the pulp. The down side with my home style putter is that I lose significant juice with pitting.
    * The biggest argument against pitting is that it accelerates oxidative browning reactions. A side note is that industry sugars cherries after pitting to draw juice out and limit exposure to oxygen. (The red pigment rapidly reacts with SO2 if we go that route for oxidation)

For me, I don’t pit cherries for wine but will pit several kilos of cherries intended for pies.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Chuck E and Chris Mellor like this.
  5. Aug 10, 2019 #5

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Chris Mellor

Junior

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I will go for leaving the pits in. Tuesday is market day and usually a good day to score cheap seasonal fruit. Let’s see what we can find

6. Aug 14, 2019 at 12:42 PM #6

Arne

Arne

Arne

Leaving the pits in can cause your cherry wine to come out bitter. The bitter taste will probably go away with age. Think last time I tried it with the stones in it was close to 2 years before the bitter taste went away. Arne.

Chuck E and Scooter68 like this.
  7. Aug 14, 2019 at 2:59 PM #7

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Thanks Arne - As difficult as it may be to remove stones from cherries, your experience/guidance tells us why it is worth that little bit of extra work. The "easy" way isn't always the smart way.

That's something we see so often here - folks looking for shortcuts "fast solutions" etc. Many of which incur a price or yield less than great results.

8. Aug 15, 2019 at 1:36 PM #8

Arne

Arne

Arne

If you can find one of the old fashioned cherry pitters it doesn't take much time. Can probably do a gal. in 15 min. or so. Put the cherries in the funnel on top, turn the crank and the meat falls out the bottom, the pits out a shoot in front. If you could find one that is not worn out like mine it would probably be even faster. It leaves a few pits in with the meat, but not very many. If you use them for pies you want to check the meat a bit closer, but a few pits do not hurt with the wine. Arne.

Chuck E likes this.
  9. Aug 15, 2019 at 5:03 PM #9

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Yes Arne - I picked one of those old cast iron ones - mine looks like a spider. Perhaps made intended more for decoration not real use but some day I plan on giving it a work out.....If I ever get enough cherries to work with.

10. Aug 16, 2019 at 8:48 PM #10

Sailor323

Sailor323

Sailor323

Junior

I do have a cherry pitter (works as an olive pitter as well). I find that it is easier and faster to use a paper clip to remove the stones from cherries.