Stirring the secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P2000

Junior
Reaction score
Ok before I start, I'm going to search the forums b cause I'm sure eventually I'll find something. That said, I racked a classic Cabernet Sauvignon into the secondary. While in the Big Mouth Bubbler it kept popping the cap off. But the SG hit 1.010 so I put oak chips in the carboy and racked. Everything seems good, bubbling like crazy. Should I still stir it? Not degassing with a whip yet, but just mixing. Or just let it sit until the bubbling stops. Any insight appreciated.

Ok before I start, I'm going to search the forums b cause I'm sure eventually I'll find something. That said, I racked a classic Cabernet Sauvignon into the secondary. While in the Big Mouth Bubbler it kept popping the cap off. But the SG hit 1.010 so I put oak chips in the carboy and racked. Everything seems good, bubbling like crazy. Should I still stir it? Not degassing with a whip yet, but just mixing. Or just let it sit until the bubbling stops. Any insight appreciated.

As long as it's actively producing CO2, stir if you like, though it's not necessary, it may help keep your chips from floating so much. It'll also be fine if you just let it sit a week or two to finish up on its own. Once fermentation slows, probably better to just leave it alone and avoid unnecessary exposure to O2.

On thanks. I thought gentle mixing would be ok now to stir up the oak chips, rather than a vigorous degassing. Thank you.

Back