Stirring kit during Primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wines just fine

Reaction score
I am a complete newbie. I bought two kits one is a Chianti from Winexpert the other a Shiraz from Wine Kitz.

My question? Wine Kitz says to stir the wine on days 2 and 3. There is no mention of this with the Wine expert Kit. Why would this be?

Would this be because Wine Experts add the Benonite on Day One?

Last edited:
I believe that is correct. Many brand of kits state to stir. Wine Expert doesn't. Mosti Mondiale kits add the Bentonite in the beginning though and still state to stir. Just like Wine Expert says to carefully rack the wine to reduce chances of oxidation where Mosti says to splash it all around when you rack to aerate the wine. Who knows, just follow the kit recommendations and it is usually all good.

after adding the yeast into the must I let it sit for 2 or 3 days and then I give it a quick stir daily until I rack it into a carboy. I do this with pretty much any wine I make.

Just like kit manufacturers, we all have our own opinions on what is best. I can see both sides of the story. 1 is saying to stir it before racking so as that to get all the yeast into the must to help it ferment to dry and to get some 02 in their to help it do just so while other brands tell you to leave as much sediment behind so that it clrears sooner (with the exception of some fining agents that need more sediment to actually work). I myself have made many many kits (maybe not as many as cp but thats another story) and have choosen to follow RJS'S instructions which has you ferment to dry in primary punching down the cap if its a grape skin kit or just leaving it alone if not and check it when the action just starts to slow down so that I know what the sg is and keep the c02 blanket in there to protect the wine and rack it when its done leaving as much behind and not worrying about fermentation not finishing due to racking too early.

Latest posts

Back