Stirring in a Glass Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrank07

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear what some of you guys use you stir musts in glass carboys. I generally use carboys immediately for primary when I'm making wine from 100% juice. I've heard of people using chopsticks, but I'm sure there are some other clever household items used to get through the glass neck. Most interesting item wins!

You'll find me most boring then as I use an 18" food grade paddle.

PAD.JPG

4 large (6gal) batches I use my drill mounted degasser.

I never use a carboy for a primary. I will use the small end of my spoon for stirring the sparkeloid.

I'm interested to hear what some of you guys use you stir musts in glass carboys. I generally use carboys immediately for primary when I'm making wine from 100% juice. I've heard of people using chopsticks, but I'm sure there are some other clever household items used to get through the glass neck. Most interesting item wins!

Drill-powered stirrer is best -- but at times part I have used a 5/8" x 3' dowel (after soaking it in sanitizer for a while). Just stuck it in and swirled it about for a while.

I use the small end of a stirring paddle that someone else posted a picture of for 3 gallon or larger carboys, but even the small end won't fit in a 1 gallon carboy, so I gently shake it usually.

Don't ever use a glass wine thief to stir, I learned that one the hard way yesterday.

Latest posts

Back