stirring during fermentation ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazer

Junior
Reaction score
I read on this site that you should stir during fermentation, my instructions didn't say anything about this in my wine kit which is a merlot reserve, I thought you shouldn't open the bucket while it's fermenting because you would introduce oxygen , now what??
Winexpert California Cabernet Merlot.

When in primary and SG is high, the must needs oxygen for the yeast cells to reproduce. Once SG gets to approximately 1.020 or 1.030, they stop reproducing, but continue to convert sugar to alcohol. At this point you can put the lid on the keep all the CO2 which protects the wine from bacterial spoilage.

When in primary and SG is high, the must needs oxygen for the yeast cells to reproduce. Once SG gets to approximately 1.020 or 1.030, they stop reproducing, but continue to convert sugar to alcohol. At this point you can put the lid on the keep all the CO2 which protects the wine from bacterial spoilage.
but can i open it and stir? without doing any damage?

@blazer In my opinion there are two things going on for you.
1. Kit wine making is a way to accelerate the process of wine making even for those who don’t know much about it. I was there 4 years ago.
2. Reading this forum is a way to accelerate your understanding of what’s going on in the wine making process. You can certainly follow the directions that come with the kits and your wine will turn out good enough to be proud of.
It is a great way to start out. After you’ve made a few kits, if you’ve also been reading this forum, you’ll gain confidence and will want to introduce tweaks to your process in hopes of improving your wine. My advice is to keep making kits and keep reading the forum and keep asking questions. So, stay the course you’ve on, you’re doing great.

1. Kit wine making is a way to accelerate the process of wine making even for those who don’t know much about it. I was there 4 years ago.
2. Reading this forum is a way to accelerate your understanding of what’s going on in the wine making process. You can certainly follow the directions that come with the kits and your wine will turn out good enough to be proud of.
It is a great way to start out. After you’ve made a few kits, if you’ve also been reading this forum, you’ll gain confidence and will want to introduce tweaks to your process in hopes of improving your wine. My advice is to keep making kits and keep reading the forum and keep asking questions. So, stay the course you’ve on, you’re doing great.
Thanks, I got a reading today of 1.010 , and that's only after 4 days, I'm going to keep stirring it every day until day 14.

That’s doing very good. Don’t pay strict attention to any timetables in the instruction. (yes, if you follow them you would still get wine) pay attention to your hydrometer and the look and reaction of your wine. 1.010 indicates fermentation is almost complete in this case. when you stir over the next day or 2 you will probably notice less action in the fermenter. I would consider moving to secondary in a day or two.

those winexpert kits appear to be near foolproof, even after 10 years in a basement

That’s doing very good. Don’t pay strict attention to any timetables in the instruction. (yes, if you follow them you would still get wine) pay attention to your hydrometer and the look and reaction of your wine. 1.010 indicates fermentation is almost complete in this case. when you stir over the next day or 2 you will probably notice less action in the fermenter. I would consider moving to secondary in a day or two.

those winexpert kits appear to be near foolproof, even after 10 years in a basement
Thank you, I'll pay attention to SG

If it were me I would go with the FWK method at this point. Snap the lid shut, provided you has a fermentor with a decent seal, put an air lock on it and don’t open it again until day 14. At 1.010 you are still producing enough CO2 to protect the wine and it should finish ok without any more help. Just my opinion.

Good job, @blazer!!

As you follow posts you'll notice many opinions. They can all be different - and they can all be correct! Just part of the wine making fun!

I'll throw another one at you...
I transfer to secondary when the SG nears 1.020. By this time the yeast no longer need oxygen to multiply - there's a boatload of them - and I see no point to keeping them in primary. In fact, reducing oxygen makes them concentrate on alcohol rather than reproduction.

Experiment, get comfortable with your personal system, and have fun!

@blazer, FWK = Finer Wine Kits, sold by Label Peelers. They are a new kit vendor which has made a strong impression on this forum.

Kit instructions are optimized for beginners who have no experienced help. If you follow the WE instructions and use good hygiene, you will produce a good result. Experienced wine makers don't consider kit instructions optimal, but we are not the intended audience, YOU are. When in doubt, follow the WE instructions, because they work.

FWK instructions have a bit more confidence in the ability of beginners to follow instructions, so they contain more advanced techniques. One is to seal the fermenter when the SG is between 1.010 and 1.020, and not open it until Day 14. At that point the fermentation should be complete.

You can follow the WE instructions, or seal the container. Either way, your wine will be fine.

Ask questions. You are a beginner and we hope you will ask questions. The unspoken goal of this forum is that every ferment is successful!

Last edited:

I am partly with old corker! Carbon dioxide bubbles can cling to yeast cells slowing down fermentation. Once bubbles coming out through the airlock slow down you can leave the lid on until it stops. Check the SG and if it is 0.996 or lower it is time to add metabisulfite and sorbate. Mr Ecko!

Latest posts

Back