stir the must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoifeLuC

Reaction score
I've read to stir the must at least twice a day on some threads. Do I "whip" it up with the wand on the end of the drill or just gently swirl it? On the instructions of the wine kits I have made (only two so far) it says do not stir yeast in...it will activate on it's own. Thereafter it mentions nothing about stirring at any time but to keep air lock half filled.
I won't be adding fruit to it just juice. Even with juice only do I stir?
Thanks

You don't need to whip it, just give it a good stir and don't snap the lid down, just lay the lid loosely and place a towel over the lid.

At what point do I know "when " to stop stirring?

I generally stop stirring when I rack the must into a secondary (carboy). Usually that's when my hydrometer reading is at 1.02 or less.

At what point do I know "when " to stop stirring?

If you mean "while fermenting in primary", just stir it well for 10-15 seconds then do as Julie states.

If you mean "literally stop the stirring", then as Ron states, when racked to secondary.

I'll often stir during primary just to stay involved with the process. Stirring, if not mentioned in the instructions, is not necessary.

I don't stir unless it's a skins kit. But when I do, it's just a gentle stir to get things mixed in. Not really trying to agitate anything.

I stir everything, if there is a cap/skins/fruit, I'll stir a little more vigorously to submerge, usually twice a day.

Stirring helps to release CO2 gas and allows the must/yeast to have a drink of oxygen. Normally I let my must finish fermenting in the primary which allows me to degas some before transferring to secondary and it also enables stirring in a larger opening.

I've had a few batches ferment so fast they were below 1.000 before I caught them and racked to secondary. Right now I have an apple that is taking it's sweet time. Pitched the yeast Monday night and it was bubbling the next morning BUT this evening it was only down to 1.036 (From 1.110) Yeast is good for that ABV (K1-V1116) and if foamed like crazy until this afternoon when the surface foam was gone but larger bubbles were clearly present.

Latest posts

Back