stinky peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
help, my peaches are stinkin' this morning:sh
started on 7/11, pitched yeast 7/12. recipe didn't really say when to remove. i assumed similar to blueberries/7 days/when rack to secondary. the fermentation is VERY active, i can actually hear it. i tasted the must and i can taste the alcohol and the peach and tastes good. thankfully doesn't taste like it smells. sg 1.030, started 1.080. should i pull these peaches?

You are OK
Check the gravity and remove the pulp @ 1.015ish
Let it go dry then rack.

5 crushed campden tabs, 12 hour before pectin, 24 before yeast. had been covered with a towel. it's in a 6 gal. plastic fermentor, and i did "sit" the lid on it last night, not tightened...too much air anyway? i don't know but hubby won't like this:(

sg 1.030, started 1.080. should i pull these peaches?

Remove the fruit around 1.020 The majority of the juice/sugar should be removed from them (eaten by the yeast). You may even want to take a sanitized sieve and move it slowly thru the must to pick up extra pulp that may have seeped thru the bag.

In a few days the s.g. will be low enough you can snap a lid on tight with an airlock to reduce the air getting to it. I don't use an airlock on my primary but will snap a lid on the last 24 hours or so.

Some will rack to a carboy after you remove the peaches and finish fermenting under an airlock this way. Your choice. Remember your k-meta (Pot. Meta) when it's thru fermenting. 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons.

going to work. ya'll pray for less stink as hubby will be in before me. i bet i get a call, lol

How did you prepare the peaches before fermentation?

I am looking at making some peach wine to blend with my chardonel.

I am guessing you destoned them - did you cut them up or freeze them before hand?

Just hope that you don't have to have the meter guy/girl want to check your inside mater and you have to explain why your house smells nasty.:)

I am guessing you destoned them - did you cut them up or freeze them before hand?

I would destone and leave the skins on, then freeze them. This will allow a lot of the juice to seep out and will allow the yeast better access to the cell structure of the meat. It's easier to weigh them frozen for a better control.

Rica,

I believe what you are smelling are the yeasties doing there job. You should smell a yeast and peach combo and I guess if you are not use to this it would smell like peaches going bad. I hate to tell you this but the smell is probably going to last a day maybe two, mine usually smells until I get it into a carboy under an airlock.

No, na na na no. That smell means it's healing.:) Love that commercial.

I was just thinking if someone read this and didn't know it was on a wine forum. :):)

Rica,

I believe what you are smelling are the yeasties doing there job. You should smell a yeast and peach combo and I guess if you are not use to this it would smell like peaches going bad. I hate to tell you this but the smell is probably going to last a day maybe two, mine usually smells until I get it into a carboy under an airlock.

I agree with Julie. It sounds like it may be strong, and I have not done peaches myself, but the smell of decaying fruit is part of fermentation. I usually find it acceptable, but have a friend that tallks about it as if it's stinking up his whole house.
Perhaps some of us are more sensitive to it than others.
Since it tastes good, I don't think you have a winemaking problem.

Always best to pit them and freeze

even when i'm freaking ya'll make me laugh...this has been half the fun of winemaking:hug
they were de-stoned/quartered/frozen. have been frozen for about a month maybe? before i left home today, i did notice alot of peach pulp up above the fluid level. i wiped that out with a paper towel, thinking maybe that was contributing. i actually picked up the bag with sanitized hands and squeezed the bag and some of the peaches are practically "gone"/falling apart/whatever you wanna call it (i wanna call 'em rotten, lol). some quarters/slices are still fairly firm. i will check sg when i get home. somebody on here told me i would go cross eyed from watching my airlock, what happens from checking constant sg, lol lol

Tom,

Is this the same for all fruit wines?

Is this recommended for grapes?
Yes ones that have hard pits, Strawberry just take the green crown off and slice in 1/2.

Grapes no. but you want all the stems off and crush the grapes

even when i'm freaking ya'll make me laugh...this has been half the fun of winemaking:hug
they were de-stoned/quartered/frozen. have been frozen for about a month maybe? before i left home today, i did notice alot of peach pulp up above the fluid level. i wiped that out with a paper towel, thinking maybe that was contributing. i actually picked up the bag with sanitized hands and squeezed the bag and some of the peaches are practically "gone"/falling apart/whatever you wanna call it (i wanna call 'em rotten, lol). some quarters/slices are still fairly firm. i will check sg when i get home. somebody on here told me i would go cross eyed from watching my airlock, what happens from checking constant sg, lol lol

When doing fruit wine it's best to but the fruit in a straining bag (5gal paint straining bag @ HD)

Latest posts

Back