Stink bug monitoring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I had so many stinkers in my must last year I’m really being obsessed about keeping them out of my vines this year. I’ve only found one adult so far, but have found several egg masses so far. Unfortunately I can’t tell if they are predatory stink bugs or brown stink bugs. I’ve found three different color eggs but brown stink bugs can change the color of their eggs.
most are this grey color, Im keeping some in jars but don’t think they’ll get big enough to accurately identify. Because my wife and I have to isolate for the next two weeks due to her upcoming stem cell transplant and my dog being partially paralyzed from anaplasmosis im stuck at home and have way too much time on my hands so why not spend it in the vineyard
8E372618-B0A4-49DC-9346-EB88E2D2D0AE.jpeg

You simply need to keep the adults out of the must. And avoid disturbing adults during harvest. I addressed this almost 10 years ago in a blog post about lady bug taint. Similar solutions can be applied:

https://stcoemgen.com/2013/09/11/gardeners-friend-winemakers-horror/
I’m going to setup a sorting table this year and try to get some friends to help, plus due to my wife’s illness and my dogs illness I don’t have time to get too involved with my other hobbies so I’m scouting my 70 vines twice a day for bugs.

You simply need to keep the adults out of the must. And avoid disturbing adults during harvest. I addressed this almost 10 years ago in a blog post about lady bug taint. Similar solutions can be applied:

https://stcoemgen.com/2013/09/11/gardeners-friend-winemakers-horror/
Thanks for this. I’m sure it’s going to be an issue when I start harvesting. Some years I will have tens of thousands of them on my house looking for a warm space to spend the winter.

Latest posts

Back