Still stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

fauxfly

Reaction score
I'm hoping the Pine-orange-banana turns out really good as I was doin' some talkin in the neighborhood. I was braggin' it up. Buddies can't wait till its done and they can get there mits on it !!

On a side note I was in a huge supply store the other day and noticed liquid flavoring for batches. You guys ever use this stuff, it was from LD Carlson.

I was thinking it might be a good way to improve a batch if need be. Possibly a was to add a little body to a batch.

Thoughts

Steve

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Steve did you use the DOLE? If you did, a little late now, but you definitely want to use Pectin E, lots of pulp, or use a ferment bag. I drank mine early but I thought it was pretty good, I'm sure a little aging would greatly improve this wine.

I've heard of these flavorings in here, I haven't used them but am sure someone will pop in a let you know what they think.

Troy

MBCUK

Junior
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in and change the conversation but I have to say what a great avatar arcticsid!! We have two cats nd thats proper cute... lol

fauxfly

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't remember the exact amount, but yes Pectic enzyme was in the recipe.

Steve

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
It was amazing how much it cut down that pupl! I added the PE, let it sit for 2 hours before adding the rest of the stuff and I was shocked how much it broke down and settled overnight. Next time I make it I am sure going to use a ferment bag. For a ferment bag you can use a nylon stocking or a paint straining bag.

Keep us posted.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Never did answer the DOLE question. They make a pinepple orange mango that turns out really good also.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I dont like those flavor additives at all. I would much rather use a frozen concetrate or fresh fruit condensed down or even a store bought juice condensed down. those flaor extracts are pretty nasty used when a beverage is done, they are ok for giving a batch of beer or wine a small hint of that flavor if added before fermentation though like in a raspberry wheat beer or the beer ill be making next which is called Magic Hat #9 clone which is a Pale Ale with a Apricot background.

fauxfly

Reaction score
Sorry articsid, yup I used the dole concentrates. I've used about a dozen different ones over the last year now and always wound up with a pretty good batch of vino. I will as a rule use the pec enzyme in "pulpy" musts like this one. Its clearing ever so slightly now in the secondary. It'll need a lot more time though.

Speaking of using other things for ingredients, you guys in here ever use canned fruit for a batch, my wife just walked in and tells me canned pears were on sale for a dollar a can or something like that at the grocery store. I have to believe a pear wine would not only be delicious, it could clear out to be a real pretty wine. Anybody ever try this??

Steve