still showing my green colors:)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
i'm 99% certain i have NOT stabilized my blackberry. i want to do that tonight and then wait the required couple of rackings before backsweeting (don't think i'm gonna blend this with the beaujolais afterall). if on the 1% chance i did when i racked from the 6.5 gallon to the 5 gallon carboy, is this going to hurt anything?
i'm keeping my records on word, but, i'm a ditz...:)

i'm 99% certain i have NOT stabilized my blackberry. i want to do that tonight and then wait the required couple of rackings before backsweeting (don't think i'm gonna blend this with the beaujolais afterall). if on the 1% chance i did when i racked from the 6.5 gallon to the 5 gallon carboy, is this going to hurt anything?
i'm keeping my records on word, but, i'm a ditz...:)

You should get a notebook or a binder to keep your notes on. It is much easier that way. If you are not sure I would rather error on the safe side and stabilize again. But I won't do it now I would wait a couple of weeks. Just curious what is the length of time from the time you stabilize and then backsweeten?

You should get a notebook or a binder to keep your notes on. It is much easier that way. If you are not sure I would rather error on the safe side and stabilize again. But I won't do it now I would wait a couple of weeks. Just curious what is the length of time from the time you stabilize and then backsweeten?

i didn't read the fpac sticky very well when i stabilized and fpacked the peach and blueberry...i think i only did them a day apart:re
i was lucky, no refermentation and in fact, the peach began clearing after that. i did not add anymore sugar that the fpacks.
i know the blackberry is going to need it because it is very tart; but still good.
i was going to start a different thread on backsweetened s.g., but i will ask here....
what is a common goal for s.g. when backsweetening?

I would take a reading when i backsweeten and after playing around with different levels, we liked the majority of our wines at 1.010. Now we have refined and we like different wines slightly sweeter and others drier. But is was a good starting point.

I keep everything in google calendar, including what I added, did to it, etc. Nice, free and you can access it from just about anywhere, including a smartphone!

If you are doing kits they add the fpack right after stabilizing without waiting. I would wait at least a few days to a week before adding an fpack or back sweetening with your own recipe. It sometimes takes a while clear after adding an fpack or back sweetening so don't wait until just before bottling time.
Common goal for sg sweetness is too personal for each person. take a half gallon and keep adding until you get a desired level. Take you sg reading and and shoot for the same on the rest of your carboy. I always sweeten a little less then what we like. As the wine ages it seems to sweeten a bit more on its own.

In addition to what Julie posted most of us keep tags attached to the necks of the carboys for quick notes. name, start date/sg, follow up dates and notes

it's funny you mentioned that...i made some on the computer yesterday, lol
shoulda made 'em when i started this grand endeavor!

I usually put a wide piece of masking tape on the side of the carboy. Keep a sharpie on the winemaking bench. Mark down on the masking tape what I have done, then into my log book. Then try and keep track of the logbook. It seems to travel upstairs and down. Somehow even wound up in my pickup. Anyway, when you finish the wine, you can compare the tape and the logbook.

I usually put a wide piece of masking tape on the side of the carboy. Keep a sharpie on the winemaking bench. Mark down on the masking tape what I have done, then into my log book. Then try and keep track of the logbook. It seems to travel upstairs and down. Somehow even wound up in my pickup. Anyway, when you finish the wine, you can compare the tape and the logbook.

i have definitely got me a notebook going...i was keeping these little notes in the utility room and then some on the computer. even if it's not the neatest, it is all in one place now:w

i have definitely got me a notebook going...i was keeping these little notes in the utility room and then some on the computer. even if it's not the neatest, it is all in one place now:w

Yeaa, it doesn't have to be nice.

I'm just lucky I write nothing down and dont seem to forget, but I have never written down a check of cash card uses and always know in my head what my balance is. It helps that all fruit wine I have been starting at 1.090 and when they finish, they finish. I like to backsweetin to 1 or less once again, easy to remember. God I am going to be lost when age makes me forget

CG, I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached, so this is how I handle record-keeping:

1. I keep all my recipes in a spreadsheet that also serves as a checklist for things to do & dates. If I start a second batch of the same wine, I just add a tab to the spreadsheet and copy the recipe/checklist over.

2. I write notes on the upper side of the carboys with a black permanent sharpie (it comes off glass when I clean them).

I keep everything in google calendar, including what I added, did to it, etc. Nice, free and you can access it from just about anywhere, including a smartphone!
I keep my notes on Excel and print it out so that it is in a binder in the work area. How do you put it into google calendar? :)

Latest posts

Back