Still good?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TikiWine

Reaction score
Last night I siphoned my batch from the primary to the carboy. I degassed and added the the fermentation ending and clearing agents. This morning I went to check on it and the solid stopper ( per the instructions) was completely off. It has been sitting without one from anywhere between 1 minute to 12 hours. Is it still good? Or is the batch dead?

I don't need " I always use an air lock" or "you should have".

The question is. Is it still good or do I dump it?

It was sulphate and ksorbate. Should I add a bit of kmeta?

I am dealing with a new basement environment. This has never happened before. I'm guessing the cooler temps squeezed the carboy.

Was it a kit? If it was and you put it in you'll be fine. They may have labelled the bag sulphate, which is most likely Kmeta. I use Kmeta because I can't spell it out, but I'll try - Potassium metabisulfite (K is the symbol they give Potassium).

That Kmeta will bind with any oxygen that got in there so that it isn't available for acetobacter to grow (the stuff that helps transform wine into vinegar). You just put it in there so you know there is enough to protect it since kits usually supply you with at least enough to get you to 50 ppm if not higher.

I always use an airlock. You should have.... not given me this opening line. 😁

just bc you degassed doesn’t mean ALL the co2 is gone. The solid stopper will pop again. And again. And again.
Nothing would be be ruined from being exposed overnight tho. Not ideal. But not ruined at all.

A bubbler airlock or the vented silicon bungs can be used for the entire time without issue.

Latest posts

Back