Mosti Mondiale still cloudy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
i started the meglioli pinot grigo del veneto kit on 05/12 2012. i hit all my numbers and did the apprpoiate rackings called for. the last rack was done on 05/28 ,sg 0.994. k-meta,silligel &liquigel were added and i stirred.i have some sediment in the bottom of the carboy but the wine is still cloudy.it should have cleared 10 days ago.any suggestions?

will it hurt to remain on the lees this long ? do you use super kleer instead of ,or in addition to the fining agents supplied in the kit?

Never used that brand of kit before, but I wouldn't be surprised if the clarifying agents you were given are not the same thing as what is in Super Kleer, which is just chitosan and kieselsol (also known as colloidal silica).

The degassing question is a good one. If it really isn't all that degassed, it might not completely clear on its own.

Thats correct, you're wine will not clear until it is degassed. I would stick with the clearing agents included with the kit until you can determine they really didn't work after a reasonable amount of time.

If it wasnt degassed enough that is the problem. But anyways about 2 weeks is about as much time as Id let my wine sit on fining agents so if your past that Id get it off now and just give it more time on its own to clear. If need be you can use another fining agent later.

Wray...the temperature can also impact the speed at which your wine will clear. If you find a nice, dark and cool spot I suspect you will start to notice clearing from the top of the wine downward. Just give it some time.

I agree with the above post also. Even though the directions on the Superkleer say they work prety low Ive noticed that many times it doesnt typically work in those lower temps and when warmed up it cleared right up in days.

I've done a number of the Megioli and they cleared fine with the agents included.
They finished mid May, opened a bottle of Barolo this past weekend and it was wonderful.
I just joined the forum so you are probably done by now.

Back