Sterilizing Primary Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sanitizing mix is the following:
2 tsp KMS
1 Tbs Citric Acid
1 Gallon clean water

Citric acid is very cheap and will lower the water pH making the KMS extremely effective.

I use to brew beer which really makes you learn about the trials and tribulations of sanitizing.
Wine is much more forgiving.

I have used many types if sanitizers including Iodofor & Star San, which are very good.
But, I like to use KMS for wine making since it is also naturally occurring during the wine making process.
I use the acid sanitizer (Star San) or Citric Acid when sanitizing my stainless tanks since KMS will start pitting the stainless steel.

Last edited:
2 tsp KMS
1 Tbs Citric Acid
1 Gallon clean water

Citric acid is very cheap and will lower the water pH making the KMS extremely effective.

I use to brew beer which really makes you learn about the trials and tribulations of sanitizing.
Wine is much more forgiving.

I have used many types if sanitizers including Iodofor & Star San, which are very good.
But, I like to use KMS for wine making since it is also naturally occurring during the wine making process.
I use the acid sanitizer (Star San) of Citric Acid when sanitizing my stainless tanks since KMS will start pitting the stainless steel.
Thanks for the heads up - I also used to brew beer and it's varities for several years, I guess it is that experience that has provided the paranoia regarding cleanliness. No question - wine is a new learning curve, and I really appreciate all of the input that I have received from tha members.
Thanks again.

2 tsp KMS
1 Tbs Citric Acid
1 Gallon clean water

2 tsp per gal seems really really low on k-meta. I never strayed from print on the bag- adding 2 oz. to one gal water. (2oz = 3tbs or 9tsp)
With 1 tbs of citric. 3:1 ratio.
Do you get the strong odor with so little KMS? I like that to tell me it’s still effective.

Sorry for the delayed response. Been really busy at the winery.

There is no need to use Citric Acid when using a dosage of 2 to 3 Tbs of KMS per gallon of water.

I have no problem with constructive feedback. Please make a test gallon with my mix and let me know what you think.

Sorry for the delayed response. Been really busy at the winery.

There is no need to use Citric Acid when using a dosage of 2 to 3 Tbs of KMS per gallon of water.

I have no problem with constructive feedback. Please make a test gallon with my mix and let me know what you think.
Thank you for the reply - I have just transferred the first Merlot to the carboy from the the primary, so I have a bit of time and space.
For sure I will give it a try - I will be prepping the primary on the weekend to start the second Merlot, so I will let you know.
Thanks again- take care!

Latest posts

Back