Sterilize corks with B-Brite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Drank_It

Reaction score
OK, I know there are recommendations to sterilize corks with Sodium Metabisulfite. Can I use B-Brite to sterilize corks? I am worried that the corks will soak up some of the chemicals which will get into my wine.

I'm not sure about B-brite. Sanatizing your corks in lets say a Corkidor with sulfite will sanatize the corks with the fumes of the sulfite. Any remaining fumes left in the cork is only a added protection for your wine.

If you are using a floor corker put them in dry. If using a handcorker i would pour a kmeta sanitizing solution over them in a strainer. Let the excess go into a pan under the strainer then put a towell over the strainer for a while and allow the fumes to continue to sanitze while your corks are draining.

Why would you want to use b-brite on corks?

Either use k-meta or na-meta or if it is a new package use nothing at all if you have a floor corker.

B Brite is used to clean bottles and equipment, then be rinsed. Never use this where you will intake it. Sanitize with a sulfite/water solution.

Do not bother sanitizing corks with anything (and quit thinking about "sterilizing." That doesn't happen outside hospitals.) Corks out of the package are just fine. Don't sweat over little things, and winemaking will be much more fun.

Jim

Latest posts

Back