Step Feeding Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Junior
Reaction score
Are there any detailed instructions on how to step feed sugar without using a hydrometer?

Can anyone provide a link to a recipe or “protocol” for a beginner?

Instructions that I can follow without measuring specific gravity?

I’m interested in making fruit wines. But I have not bought anything from a brew supply store yet.

I’ve found these detailed schedules of step feeding for mead making but not wine nor cider nor “hooch.”

Thanks for reading

Unless you have a very experienced veteran winemaker at your side all the time - you have to have some basic equipment and a hydrometer is one of those things.

We want folks to succeed at wine making on this forum - guesswork and frustration go hand-in-hand when you try to make wine without the basics.

You said you want to make Fruit wine - Begin with starter kit like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W3PZ4RY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJZF99M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

BUT before you start - Read read and keep reading. This is a year round hobby with long term rewards but you have to be in it for the long-term to really enjoy those rewards. Impatience will only create frustration, problems and disappointment.

I'm 3 1/2 years into this and still learn something new all the time. AND my best fruit wines are at least 2 years old.

Are there any detailed instructions on how to step feed sugar [snip]

Sorry to re-interpret your question, but I truncated your question in the correct place. Yes, yes, we can help you with your (truncated) question.

Step 1. Acquire a hydrometer. About $6 or $7 from you LHBS.
Step 2. Measure your SG at the start your fermentation.
Step 3. When, upon measuring your SG, it falls to about 1.030, add more sugar to bring the SG back up to ~1.070

for step feeding to work you must know when to add the sugar. to prevent toxicity to the yeast it is normally added at sg-1.020 with the starting gravity at about 1.090. adding the sugar raises the sg you monitor it until it reaches 1.020 again add sugar . keep going until sg stabilizes. if you don't want to mess with a hydrometer purchase a digital refractometer. one drop of wine will give you the specific gravity in brix form. very easy to use.

Latest posts

Back