Steamer Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Ok Guys and Gals
I need info on this.
How long does it take to do lets say 24# of Strawberries and 30# of Blueberries?
From the above how much juice do you get?
What brand do you have and the pest place for price.

Sorry not me! Have just read Luc's experiment on juicing and saw his experiment with one did the least yield.
Im about to use a standard one! Sorry I cant be of help.

I use a Mehu-Liisa steam juicer. They have gotten pretty pricey in the past year. Just looked where I bought from. They have went up like $80.00 :eek: I paid $119.00 for mine a couple years ago. They are 199.00 now :( I got mine here.

http://www-podunk.com/

Anyway. For 30 pounds of blueberries it takes a while. Maybe 4 hours or so. I probably could put more in when I do mine. I don't fill the basket full. The berries will determine the yield. I think I got maybe 3-4 gallons the last time I juiced. I can't honestly say how many pounds of fruit I had though. It was a pretty big batch of them though. Maybe a primary fermenter bucket full. I have never weighed the fruits I have juiced to see what my yield per pound is. I think Wade uses one. Maybe he keeps better records in that area better than I do.

Tom,

Sorry for my late reply.............

I do use a steam juicer frequently.
I can not give any estimates on pricing as I am in Europe, but I paid about 100 euro for mine which can be bought at Brouwland.com

Operation is easy, fill the basket with fruit. Fill the lower part with water and that is it. Well you will have to check if there is still water in the lowest part, and tap of the juice every now and then.

Basically it is done in a few hours. But there are big advantages.
- The juice is pasteurised, when hot tapped directly in bottles (hot washed with soda) you can store the juice for years on.
- Elderberry juice made this way has lower tannin and can therefore be made into an eqarlier drinking wine.
- Not a lot of work.
- No need to destem the fruit.

The biggest disadvantage is that any juice coming from the fruit is being dilluted with water from the steaming process.
I demonstrated that when I did my apple juicing story:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/appeltje-voor-de-dorst-apple-day.html

I have used it succesfully with plums, elderberries, blackberries and bananas.

Despite the high price (it was one of my most expensive winemaker toys) I would buy it again.

Luc

I have a breville juice fountain, which juices whole apples and pears.

mainly for cider and perry, it's perfect. I paid $60NZD second hand for mine, roughly $28USD ( brand new in NZ the breville is $200.00)

have looked into steam juicers..they are twice as expensive here..

Allie

I realise I did not answer the time question.

I estimate about 2 to 3 hours.

I really never timed the operation because I just
put the thing on the stove and go do something else.
I do check water level and tap juice every half hour or so.

Luc

Latest posts

Back