Steamer/Juicer - first experience

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
Based on recommendations from the WMT members, I bought a steamer/juicer from Amazon.

All I can say is WOW! Six pounds of frozen peaches yielded 3.5 quarts of juice in 45 minutes. I'm reducing the juice right now over medium heat, being careful not to scorch it.

There's so much collective wisdom here... I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who shares. :)

Ys I always freeze the fruit 1st. Unless like on my last batch of peaches. When I got the 160#'s they were mushy. Perfect for wine. There I just pitted and steamed.
Nice thing @ steaming is you "can" the juice. Collect it over time and make on your schedule.

Yes. remember if making a 6 gal batch I would use at least 3-4 gal of steamed juice. The more the better.

Tom, do you add water to the steamed juice? I use just the straight juice in the past and it seems to work well. Would be nice to increase the yield.

If you have enough juice to do a full batch do so. But, keep an eye on the TA as you may have a spike in doing full juice.. Remember the more you use the better the body. I always make a f-pac in all my fruit wines.

Question. I have been reading about these steamer juicers and some say that you just add the whole fruit, skin, pit and all and others say you at least have to pit it. which is the correct answer as I am really looking into getting one of these. I mean really, using steam extracts the good and also kills the yeast off.... why do it any other way unless there is something I am missing, and in my case of mangos and guava etc. it will reduce the lees by a huge amount!!!!! All I can see so far is a win, win situation here. WADE you listening here all mighty wine man?

Hi Mark,

I'm not Wade, but I can tell you what worked for me. I pit fruit with stones (as most of them are bitter or even poisonous) and core fruit with a seed core (for the same reason). Steaming blueberries, strawberries & raspberries all seemed to work fine with clean fruit and no stems.

However, I did run my juice through a strainer cloth (a bag laid flat) after cooling. I got a fair amount of debris out of the juice that way.

As far as just using a straining bag in the primary vice steamer/juicer? Using the steamer/juicer sure seems much easier, but takes longer.

hope this helps,
Rusty

1st ALL fruit that have a stone pit should be pitted. It works best if you pit, slice and freeze 1st except Berries..
I make alot of fruit wines both from steamed juice and fresh. Steaming is good if you don't or can't get enough fruit to make a batch or if no carboys ready. You can also makt on YOUR time not the fruits.
When I get fruit they is to far along and have enough I will make it with fresh fruit in straining bags.

Latest posts

Back