Steam Juicers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Question for those who Steam Juice their fruit..

If juicing and keeping it in canning jars would you add pectic enzyme when you "can"?

If not having added Pectic and using steamed juice for a f-pac I reduce 2 quarts to one on the stove. So, do you add pectic to the "pot" or to the carboy and how much on either?

Or, do you not add pectic enzyme?

I use canning jars and do not add any enzyme to the jars. I do add it when I start the wine though. My reasoning is to prohibit a possible pectic haze.

My understanding is that pectic enzyme doesn't work in high heat, it'd be destroyed by the canning process. Last time I canned fruit juices for future use, I added the pectic enzyme later, when I put the ingredients together for the wine.

Allie

Thats what i'm thinking that the heat will kill the enzyme.
So If I use the "canned" juice and reduce it for my f-pac I add pectic to the 6 gallons (3 tsp) right? Thats what I been doing.

Tom?..

Assuming that you are not talking about canned juices for the 6 gallon wine...are you talking about adding pectic to the canned juices for the f pac?.. If so, then why not add the pectic enzyme to the fpac.. then wait 12-24 hours before adding to the wine?. In which case you wouldn't need 3 teaspoons. For a quart of reduced juice, I'm thinking more like half a teaspoon would do it.

Allie

NO. I'm talking about a Steam Juicer. After we get the juice we put it in a "ball" canning jar the kind you use when canning vegetables at home.

Yes, I figured you are talking 'canning' what we call 'bottling'.. sealed in a glass jar "preserves'. done in a 'ball' masons jar or 'agee' jar.

You heat and vacuum seal the jars.

I thought you were wanting to confirm how much pectic enzyme to add to a quart of canned, reduced juice in an fpac. Is that what you are asking?

Allie

A bit late perhaps.....

At steam juicing the water is boiled and forms steam which releases juices in fruit.
So basically we are talking about juices that come out of the steamer which are around 90 - 100 degrees celsius. Which certainly would 'kill' enzymes.

Enzymes work best at around 40 degrees celsius. So you would have to cool the juice down first. Then the natural pasteurisation process which the steam juicer gives you was in vain.

So What I do all the time is to use the juicer, and fill jars and seal them airtight when the liquid is still hot.
When making wine I add the enzymes. Just like a normal wine-making process 24 hours upfront.

Make sure you will use at least double the amount enzymes as you are used to. The steaming process will add a lot of pectin to the juice !!! So without a lot of enzymes the wine will not clear properly.

Luc

Latest posts

Back