staves , cubes , tannins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackermonkey

Reaction score
I usually only make 6 to 8 week kits but my guy gave me a great deal on a couple of RJS 5 week kits , a BC Pinot Noir and a Washington merlot . So I feel like a want to experiment a little with them by adding some extra oak and tannins . so staves or cubes and at what stage , I do plan to bulk age at least 3 months , and I no nothing about tannins
thx

wait until wine is clear. I would use cubes I believe 5 oz is the dosage for 5 gallons. I would suggest using Hungarian oak cubes . they are between French oak and American oak in tannin flavor additions. purchase on Amazon.

I use Tannin Riche and/or Quertannin finishing tannin's and either oak staves or cubes in all my red wines to some degree depending on the type. Both should go in near the end before you bulk age for 3 months. When ready to bottle just rack and then bottle.

When oaking is there an optimal time to allow the oak (say, cubes) to sit in the wine? I was experimenting with some cubes in vodka (OK a far higher ABV) and the color and flavors the cubes imparted after a month of infusion was very intense

I've used spirals, cubes, and tannin powder. All have worked. I add whichever one I'm using for that kit during the bulk aging stage and wait until the next racking (3 month stretch) to bench trial and adjust as needed. This process has been good to me and I've only done 3 kits total. Be careful with the powder.

Back