Starting vines from clippings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cygnus

Reaction score
We are a small vineyard/winery in north central Wyoming. We have 600 vines and are trying to plant about 400 more vines per year. We have started 300 vines this year and want to know how other people have done this We bought a bunch of Marquette bare root vines and they did very well. The vines we have started ourselves are 'ok' but we want to know how to get the long healthy roots and vine that the bare root had from the nursery. We started Frontenaqu (sp) from clippings and they are ok with roots about 3/4 of an inch. We started these in March of this year. Should we keep them indoors doors the winter and keep them growing there. The Marquettes we bought had roots about 6 in long and a vine of about 1/2 in diameter.

It appears we will have about 2500 - 4000 lbs of grapes this year. unbelievable yield. Fronts, LaCrecents, and Brianas
Any experiences will be appreciated
Thanks
Larry

If you plant them outdoors then make sure you put s grow tube around them to protect from animals and the weather young vines dry out easily and can get burned up by the sun. All my vines have been really developed when I got them. I'm in California but most advice still applies. Give then good amounts of water and you could also use something like DR Earth which is a soil mix with bacterial cultures that help grapes and other plants develop faster it's similar to what NovaVine the company I buy all my vines from uses when they grow them.

Might get more response from people growing vines if you post in the Grapegrowing and Vineyard forum

I read this last night start to finish.... An amazing tale of building start to finish with cuttings through planting and harvest.

Click HERE and have a bottle of wine and a couple hours to allocate. :)

Back