Starting to get excited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
So this is my third leafing and first crop. I did get a portable heater/air conditioner for my shop to help control the temps. Cutting the vent to the outside was a pain in you know what. I still need to get a shade for the window.

Now I am waiting on the grapes to ripen up. I have been tracking the brixs with a refractometer for a few weeks. In my travels I even stopped by the Milbrant Wahluke slope vineyards in Mattawa Wa. I took some pics and filched about 20 grapes to compare their CAb S to mine. They were ahead by 2.5 brix of me which makes sense as they are the first to pick many of the fruit tree crops

I still need to get a few things before harvest, I was a week or so behind on getting the bird netting up. They can eat a lot in a few days!!! I bought a PH meter both Boatboy24 and ibgloin reviewed. Still need to get a TA kit.

I do have a problem, I think, not sure what to but Viognier leaves are turning yellow and I think have fruit flies/gnats all over them. Since this is my first crop I am learning on the go and experiencing everything for the first time. I hope to be making wine in my shop in a few weeks.

Here are the stats

Viognier are at. 16.9 Brix
Petite Verdot. 19.2 Brix
Cab Franc. 17.4 Brix
Cab Sav. 19.1 Brix

It sure is exciting. I am supposed to be in the Yellowstone Backcountry Backpacking and fly fishing in two weeks but our camp sites on slough creek are now closed due to the Buffalo wild fire. We still may head to the park to do some camping and fly fishing. I sure hope everything doesn't peak while I am gone for 5 days.

So fill me in on how things are going in your worlds. What are you looking froward too. Where are your vines at inquiring minds want to know.

The Below Photo is from Mattawa

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing your Viognier has leafhoppers. Is it mainly the Basel leaves? Are the spotted with yellow dots? Very small fly/gnat like things? I've been besieged with them this year. They don't hurt the grapes unless you lose too many leaves to ripen. I've tried an oil spray but this close to harvest I'm just going to suffer through them. They make picking a bit unpleasant.

Net time you are in Mattawa, stop by and see Mike at Ginko Forest. He is home winemaker friendly.

Me, I picked Sauvignon Blanc today. My favorite time of year!

Thanks for the heads up on the bugs, sounds like you diagnosed it correctly. How do you get rid of them for future reference. I think my Viognier may not ripen well it has slowed considerably in the last 10 days. The funny thing is none of my reds have the bugs and they are 40 feet from the Viognier????

Johnny99 thanks for the heads up on the leafhoppers. I think I was losing too many leaves and they were starting to spread to some of the new vines that I planted. I went and picked up some ladybugs and hope they will take care of the problem by chowing down

Latest posts

Back