Starting temp to pitch yeast for grape juice question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert R

Reaction score
I have a pail of riesling juice from WGD. It is about 45-48 F now, at 8:25pm. Is that too cool to pitch? I really don't want to wait until morning, getting ready for work and all that. But I don't want to be up until midnight either...
Edit to say never mind, by time i stirred it up and poured from pail to pail, it was at 56F. I'm good.

Last edited:
* The first answer is you can probably get away with 50F. As Craig indicated it is not the ideal and will have a slow laborious growth curve. Eventually the must will warm up and usually a high enough percentage survive non optimum conditions
* a second answer is that in the ideal yeast has a very fast startup in 105F liquid to help them rehydrate and out compete any bacteria in the system. When I run a 50F fermentation I usually reproduce the yeast population at room temperature 12 to 24 hours and then switch to the more stressful 50 degrees.
An easy to follow, low tech guide for using dry yeast, 36 minutes
* Everything you need to know about dry yeast, Brittney Berg, Sales Manager for Lallemand answers many frequently asked questions about dry yeast ranging from production, rehydration to repitching. Questions that were covered: What is A.D.Y. (active dry yeast)? How is it made? What is Trehalose? Why are there not as many dry strains available compared to liquid? Do I need to rehydrate dried yeast? How do I go about doing that? How do I store dry yeast? and how once I have opened a packet? Do I need to aerate? Can I repitch another ferment with this yeast? What if I ignore the best by date?

Latest posts

Back