Starting SG and ending SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is normal, Thats why you will hear of punching down the cap. That is whta wine makers call it when we have to actually open our primaries and get all the stuff floating on top and push it back under to get it all wet a few times a day so that it doesnt dry up or spoil from being above evel of must. This typically referes to fruit or grapes but can be also pulp when you have a vigorous fermentation with a lot of foaming keeping all the pulp suspended. This punching down of the cap should be done a few times a day if possible but at least once a day. When its mainly pulp it will settle out pretty quick once fermentation settles down a little.

As a side thought. Pectin Enzyme will help break this down some,, is that correct or will you still need to punch it down daily?

Petcic enzyme must be used in all fruit and grape wines. Yes some of the floaties will settle some will not
I hope you are fermenting in a bucket. If so leave the lid on loose (makes it easy to "punch" down the fruit) wait till most of the fermentation is finished before you snap the lid.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thats the part of the problem, if its sitting on top of the cap it is not getting broken down and the flavor and color are not getting extracted properly.

Well it is day 2 and the fermenter is too small. I had trouble finding a container big enough and still #2 plastic. I am making a 1 gal batch in a 6 quart container. The strawberries are pushing up into the gas lock as has happened to others using a primary that is too small. I have loosened the cap and have the lock just sitting on the hole to plug it. I had to punch down the cap it was up and drying out. So I will do this a couple times a day. I tried to tighten the lid but juice came back up into the gas lock. I guess I will leave it loose for a couple days??

Leave the lid on loose (makes it easy to "punch" down the fruit) wait till most of the fermentation is finished before you snap the lid.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Too small

Here is a pic of the secondary I found at dollar general. It was the only #2 even close to the right size. Live and learn haha. I haven't given up that is for sure.

Strawberry1_gal.jpg

Looks like quite an adequate fermenter. I have used the 13 gallon round kitchen trash cans in an emergency before. I just don't re-use them again. I even used one of those 55 gallon large gray Rubbermaid trash cans you see in commercial establishments and factories once for a 35 gallon batch of Muscadine.

Well day two and the strawberry is fermenting like crazy. I had to laugh about the 55 gaal trash can used for wine. I guess it did not leave a funny taste. I am a ways off from that kind of volumn. Need more secondaries .

Get yourself a 10 gallon fermenting bucket as you are addicted to this hobby now and will be making 6 gallon batches very soon. Its fine to have a way bigger primary bucket and actually beneficial. Just make sure to have the proper size carboy when its done fermenting though as extar space then is a no-no!

Well day two and the strawberry is fermenting like crazy. I had to laugh about the 55 gaal trash can used for wine. I guess it did not leave a funny taste. I am a ways off from that kind of volumn. Need more secondaries .

It was a new one :h It was used as a trash can after that batch.

Thats awesome. I am just beginning to see the potential of common items as fermenters. Does this mean I am addicted to wine making ha ha. My son-in-law is doing the 5 gal batches and I was at the point where I had to start one at home.:b

It's fine to use improvised containers as fermenters, but if they're plastic, just make sure they're food-grade. Apparently, Rubbermaid makes a line of trash cans called "Brute" of which some are food-grade plastic and are commonly used as open fermenters by many home winemakers. I currently am working in a ferment-on-premise store in which we use plastic food-grade barrels for our larger ferments with good results.

It's fine to use improvised containers as fermenters, but if they're plastic, just make sure they're food-grade. Apparently, Rubbermaid makes a line of trash cans called "Brute" of which some are food-grade plastic and are commonly used as open fermenters by many home winemakers. I currently am working in a ferment-on-premise store in which we use plastic food-grade barrels for our larger ferments with good results.

Thats what it was, a Rubbermaid Brute 55 gallon trash container. One of those heavy gray ones you see in factories and shops. I would of kept it as a fermenter but later on I needed a trash drum in the shop.

Latest posts

Back