Starting Pineapple Wine - need advice please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I've purchased 15 fresh pineapples. My goal is to start with 7 gallons of must. The recipes I found asked for 2 pineapples per 1 gallon so I figured 15 would be just right. My question is, do you remove the core before chopping the pineapple? I heard pineapple wine is not easy to clear so is the pectic enzyme sufficient? Do you peel pineapples completely or you can use some skin? Here is the recipe I want to follow. The recipe is for 1 gallon.

I'll try to help -
I think it needs to be peeled completely, especially those eye things. They have a weird numbing effect in my mouth. My first wife from Malaysia always said NEVER eat the eyes.
Core? Minimal flavor, fibrous, don't know if it matters.
My strawberry/pineapple cleared real fast, about 2 weeks out of secondary.
I suggest supplementing with canned pineapples and/or pineapple juice. Pineapples are picked before being ripe and they don't ripen once picked. The extra pineapple and/or juice will only help. I used organic pressed juice from Costco.

I checked my notes, used the same amount of enzyme.
That amount of raisins is mostly for mouth feel - which is a good thing. May add around 80 +/- grams of sugar.
Definitely check your SG. Depending on the pineapples you may have to add a tiny bit. I usually check SG on mixing day and then again just before adding the yeast after the fruit has had a chance to release some of its sugar.

Pineapple must started fermenting last night, just a few hours after adding yeast. I decided EC-1118. I didn't have D-47. I added only 2 cans of crushed pineapple and 24 oz of frozen mango per 8 gallons of must so those amounts will have little effect probably. I added 1 kg of dried raisins, chopped. The recipe called for acid blend which I added too although I read somewhere that pineapples are acidic so I'm not sure why adding more acid blend. I don't have a ph meter but so far the must looks pretty good and fermenting well. I found pineapples at Walmart for $1.78/piece so why not to try pineapple wine.

Pineapple must started fermenting last night, just a few hours after adding yeast. I decided EC-1118. I didn't have D-47. I added only 2 cans of crushed pineapple and 24 oz of frozen mango per 8 gallons of must so those amounts will have little effect probably. I added 1 kg of dried raisins, chopped. The recipe called for acid blend which I added too although I read somewhere that pineapples are acidic so I'm not sure why adding more acid blend. I don't have a ph meter but so far the must looks pretty good and fermenting well. I found pineapples at Walmart for $1.78/piece so why not to try pineapple wine.
Fermentation! Yippee!

I don't have a pH meter either - yet. I have some narrow range pH strips. 0-6 I think. They get me in the ballpark.

Lees compacted and FG 0.990 constant. Racked, added 1/4 tsp of kmeta. Slightly sweetened and add potassium sorbate. Very significant taste of pineapple. I plan to sweeten it further later on with pineapple concentrate. So far I'm very happy with the results. Beautiful yellow color. I wonder how it's gonna look when cleared. I added quite a lot of raisins so I hope for the best

Latest posts

Back