starting out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afss

Junior
Reaction score
hi all,

I have decided to try making a few fruit wines. I have been given access to black currants from a neighbor and i will have plumbs, maybe enough black berries and have also been promised some blueberries.

I would like to start with the currants but don't really know what the best way to start is. I have done some research but there seems to be many different methods. I'd like to keep things fairly simple but only if i will still end up with a decent drink in the end.

Any suggestions on recipes and or how to start out best is appreciated.

This forum has a recipe section and so does Jack Kellers site. Find a recipe that looks interesting and makes sense and go for it.

the wine makers toy store/finevinewines also has a recipe section and has black currant listed. looks like decent recipe to try.

I make and love Black currant wine and have 18 of these plants in my yard which I will turn into more every year until I have no more room for them. Let me know what you have for pounds and Ill work out a nice recipe for you. What do you have for carboys and primaries. To make a 5-6 gallon batch you will probably need 2 6 gallon bukets to ferment them in side ny side. You should also freeze them first for like a week or 2 as this process will help split the fruit and break the cellular structure of the fruit making it easier to extract color and flavor from the fruit and let the pectic enzyme do its job better. If you dont have any wine making supplies you will need some pectic enzyme, potassium metabisulfite(campden tablets), yeast, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer, yeast like Red Star Pastuer red or Cotes Des Blanc, acid blend, and you should also have a hydrometer to take readings of your wine. All this stuff is pretty cheap with the exception of the carboy to keep the wine in which really aint that bad either. Here are 2 good places to get such items.
http://www.finevinewines.com/products.asp
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-equipment.html

i have 2 25 liter plastic pails and two glass carboys.
I have the air locs etc as well as , potassium metabisulfite(campden tablets), yeast, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer, yeast, i'll have to go look to see what i have i think its 1116 or 1118

pectic enzyme or acid blend but can likely get it.

I'll put what i have for fruit in the freezer and weigh it

Looks like you have pretty much everything so your off to a really good start here!

looks like 10lbs of black currants, maybe 11. I have to go see if there are any left, could be up to that much again if they haven't fallen off.

If you can get a total of about 18-20 lbs then youll have a great 6 gallon batch. Black Currant has a very strong flavor so its one of only a few fruits that you dont need 6-8 lbs of fruit per gallon to get a very good wine.

Back