Starting from Scratch!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djshotokan

Junior
Reaction score
So my grape harvesting season is almost done in Southern Maryland. Have a few concords and some other unknown varieties (seeds I were given and grew that others couldnt get to work). Mainly they were eaten and some were made into jams. Next year I do want to start thinking about varieties for wine, However I am wondering what you guys suggest best for this zone and area. Now, I have a small ammenity that most dont always have. I live in Chaptico, MD and I live ON the southern Wicomico River, not to be mistakes with Wicomico of Eastern Shore. The water here is a mix of the Chesepeak and the Potomac, being fresher in fall, winter and early spring and salty in spring summer to early fall, so the soil and the air are extremely rich and with the oyster and clam shells and just tons of other nutrients in the soil in the environment, I find myself able to grow varieties of alot of fruits and vegetables and flowers that seem to otherwise struggle in other areas in my zone.
So, What do fellow enthusiasts suggest I start growing? Any particular varietal that would be a good challenge to cultivate but be worth it for small batch wine production? My wine types are decent dry white wines, good sparkling sweet wines, and any type of red wine lol

Latest posts

Back