Cellar Craft Starting first kit today - CC Mystic Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting an old-ish thread, opened up a bottle of the final product yesterday. Considering the errors I know I made along the way (as well as those I don't know about), the wine turned out quite good! The addition of the rum barrel chips in primary definitely added a nice taste.

One thing I was a little disappointed about was the mouth-feel. Felt a little "thin" to me - I think it needs more body. How would I accomplish this in a future batch, oak or something else?

Good idea, thanks! Hadn't thought of it - do you use frequently in kits?
I add glycerin to all wines -- it can make quite a difference. I ran a test, bottled a few bottles without and the remainder of the batch with. A year later, the glycerin wine was very good (2 years old at this point), while the no-glycerin wine was harsh in comparison.

EDIT: after a bit of searching the forum, I found the usual wealth of information! ;)
👍

I add glycerin to all wines -- it can make quite a difference. I ran a test, bottled a few bottles without and the remainder of the batch with. A year later, the glycerin wine was very good (2 years old at this point), while the no-glycerin wine was harsh in comparison.

👍
How much are you adding to your wines? Right b4 bottling?

Cheers!

This might be a really dumb idea, but has anyone tried adding glycerine to a bottle before drinking? I ordered some glycerin and was thinking it might be an interesting blind taste test idea.
You could, virtually anything is worth a try. Just remember that most things in wine making happen slowly. The taste change with just adding some to the bottle will probably be quite different when adding it well ahead of bottling. I understand your wine is in the bottle, but I have returned a batch of wine to a carboy, shifted the taste, and rebottled. If you are careful then you aren't introducing that much oxygen.

Last edited:
You could, virtually anything is worth a try.
True enough! I wasn't sure if the effect was fairly immediate or took time. Of course, it's most likely both.
I understand you wine is in the bottle, but I have returned a batch of wine to a carboy, shifted the taste, and rebottled. If you are careful then you aren't introducing that much oxygen.
This particular wine has been sitting in bottles for a year and a half. I'm way too lazy to rebottle it. ;) Thanks!

This might be a really dumb idea, but has anyone tried adding glycerine to a bottle before drinking? I ordered some glycerin and was thinking it might be an interesting blind taste test idea.
There's no reason that won't work. Folks backsweeten by the bottle -- same idea. And it's a LOT easier than unbottling an entire batch.

Do you guys find that it tends to sweeten the red wines?
It depends on how much you add and what the wine is. I find with a lot of reds it smooths the rough edges, especially oak that's a bit raw tasting.

Back