Starting at SP 1110?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Storm

Junior
Reaction score
Hello wine people...

Finally, I was able to get a hydrometer. Started a batch from concentrate grape juice, extra sugar and bakers yeast as it is the only available yeast where I live.

SP reading, before adding yeast, is 1110, brix 25.8 at 74 F room temp.

I read that optimal brix should be 35.5, but since I am using bakers yeast that has less tolerance for alcohol, I thought no point of adding more sugar. So, is it fair enough to start with SP 1110, brix 25.8?

Also, is there any recommendation to get the most of bakers yeast? I soaked a hanfull of raisins in 1/2 cup of boiled water, after it reached to room temp, I strained and added it to the batch. Good enough?

As a note, I’m at day 3 from starting the batch. I’m not seeing the airlock going crazy with bubbles, nor there is a condensed foam on the top of the batch, but I can see gases coming out from the bottom to the top of the batch, just like when I open a bottle of soda.

My exact recipe is:

4.5 liters of 100% grape juice (1.18 gallon)
3 cups of sugar
3/4 tablespoon of active dry bakers yeast
1/2 cup of strained raisins water

Attachments

• 29D08A86-17CD-4ADC-9DD9-F539F32651CC.jpeg
    29D08A86-17CD-4ADC-9DD9-F539F32651CC.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Whoever told you that "optimal Brix" was 35.5 was way off base. Your current Brix of 25.8 is still somewhat high, but not-unreasonable for wine yeast. It is optimistic for bread yeast.

I don't have experience with coaxing bread yeast to maximum performance, but perhaps some others may chime in with some available things that could be used as nutrients.

Latest posts

Back