Starting another RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan (18L kit) -- Question on contents

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Parisi

Reaction score
I made this kit last year, my second one ever (Mosti Nero D'Avola was my first). I didn't take great notes (any notes, really) about what was includedin the kit. My foggy recollection was that there was one oak chip pack and one grape skin pack. When I started the kit today, there were 2 grape skin packs and 2 oak chip packs (40g each). Is anyone else currently making this kit? Do you have the same contents?

It also contains 2 packets of potassium sorbate, but the instructions are to add THE packet (much later in the process, naturally), so I think the extra one was added in error..

RJS EP Kits all contain 2 grape skin packs. As far as the oak I’m pretty sure it’s 2 packs though I know I added more and tannins when I did this kit last year. I did 2 together that are about the 1 yr point. Sampled one bottle. Very good but definitely needs more time.

What do you know! I happen to have a picture of the kit from when I started mine. One sorbate (still have it if you want another). Does yours have the pectinase? Two skins, two oak chips. Mine is still bulk aging. Racked it last weekend and it still needs time but should be very good.601D87C7-7CFC-483A-B38C-9BC75A189BDA.jpeg

Thanks. I should take pictures like that, because my memory is crap.

I sent a message to RJS. Here is what they responded "Please add the second 2B just before bottling, stir it in and bottle, should you be aging in the carboy add it at the end of the 42 days. " Interesting, though -- the instructions don't mention anything about that. So I think either the second one was in error OR the instructions have not been updated.

I don't always take pictures like this. Only if I remember. ;) This was my first RJS Primeur kit.
I see that you are new to kits and understand the desire to follow the instructions closely, however, the general consensus on this site is that the sorbate is not necessary in these kits unless you intend to back sweeten. Not telling you to change your plan just FYI.

I am completely new to winemaking, period. Bottled my first kit in November 2019. I made 4 kits over winter 2019-20 and am on my second one this winter. So very, very little experience, very little knowledge. I flunked chemistry in high school, and really don't have much idea what these different chemicals do. So yes, I do just follow the instructions.

I am completely new to winemaking, period. Bottled my first kit in November 2019. I made 4 kits over winter 2019-20 and am on my second one this winter. So very, very little experience, very little knowledge. I flunked chemistry in high school, and really don't have much idea what these different chemicals do. So yes, I do just follow the instructions.
you can safely disregard the sorbate for all your dry reds. sorbate only needed for sweet wines so the residual sugar (or back sweetened sugar) doesn’t ferment later. dry wine? no need. and they say the sorbate has been known to cause off tastes. i’m pretty sure i experienced it once myself on a rosé kit had a slight bubblegummy/chemical sorta taste.

they only include & instruct to add as a failsafe and to cover their ass. skipping the sorbate is super common by kit makers around these parts. 👍

btw i made the winexpert bravado tuscan. was very good. but consensus was the RJS tuscan kit was superior.

What do you know! I happen to have a picture of the kit from when I started mine. One sorbate (still have it if you want another). Does yours have the pectinase? Two skins, two oak chips. Mine is still bulk aging. Racked it last weekend and it still needs time but should be very good.View attachment 71515
Nice table!
Since pectin is a country wine issue, I use file 13 for the pectinase and the sorbate.

Last edited:
btw i made the winexpert bravado tuscan. was very good. but consensus was the RJS tuscan kit was superior.
I agree that the rjs supertuscan is a very unique wine. I bought a new WE private reserve supertuscan hoping it approximates the bravado as I really liked that one too!

I know all the advice you're getting here is great, but for me, even though I have probably made 100 kits, I have never ventured away from the directions. Following the instructions has always made decent wines and with with the top of the line kits, I'm m not going to risk losing $150 or more.

Just opened a bottle of this wine at 14 months old. I made a double of it last year. Used 4x4, FT Rouge. Sat in oak barrels 4 months. Used a very small amount TRE (.1g per gal) about 2 months before bottling. I am very pleased with this wine and think it will get better.

Latest posts

Back