Starting a winery with kit wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone believe it is possible to start a winery using kit wines? I have made several kits, and they turn out quite good. I am wondering, because this can help take time off of the capital outlay and recovery of that capital by shortening the process. I would obviously transition to the entire process of grapes and oak barrels once I was up and running. This would just be to get a base going. Any thoughts?

it can be done. the steps necessary to start a winery that is state and federal license are still the same. Kit manufacturers are reluctant to identify kit contents. Label regulation require that the label must represent 75% of the contents. since that cannot be verified fanciful names can be used. One such location that I visited many years ago actually was a ferment on premise location along with kit wine sales. The winery owner basically made wine for club members. there is some regulatory requirements whereby the participant must be there in the beginning and end. but in this way the owner could sell kits as well as use them to produce wine bottle sales. I would suggest significant research with like locations and verification of regulatory issues along with a strong business plan.

I live in Missouri and know of at least two wineries that make and sell kit wines. Both have been in business for over five years. One is very near a major college and draws heavily from that crowd. The other is near the major lake in the middle of the state. It can certainly be done. They both use fanciful names, not varietal names.

I live in Missouri and know of at least two wineries that make and sell kit wines. Both have been in business for over five years. One is very near a major college and draws heavily from that crowd. The other is near the major lake in the middle of the state. It can certainly be done. They both use fanciful names, not varietal names.
If you have a moment, would you mind telling me the names of either one of those? I am curious to look into their offerings. I appreciate your response!

Latest posts

Back