Starting a new vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 5' welded wire fence and it worked just fine to keep deer out. Tie off some bright flagging, that will flap in the breeze, every 8' or so to let them know there's something there

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Right now, based on the camera evidence and the damage being done, we have a single deer who is coming occasionally e.g. every three or four days. I've got 8-10 vines (out of 600) that have been munched on. As long as it stays at that level, I'm really reluctant to spend $xx,000 to build a proper 8 foot fence that goes around the whole vineyard.

So for this year, I have a two phase plan. First, I have been moving the cameras around to see where he enters and exits. If it is the same point or points over and over, I'll make the fence higher in those areas. So far, he hops the same 50 year old barbed wire fence in the same place. It has sagging wires in several places so definitely room for improvement.

Secondly, if that doesn't work, I am going to install catch wires on the two ends of the vineyard up to the top of the posts and put flags on the top wire. I need those catch wires eventually anyway. I'll then install a series of 5 wires across the end posts on either side of the vineyard - giving me six feet of coverage there.

I hope that this secondary will make it so he only eats on the first and last rows - at which point I'll fence off the ends. I'm pretty sure that he can jump more than five or six feet - but hopefully he will decide it isn't worth the effort and will just go back next door and eat on their vines (the aforementioned barbed wire fence is in common with the neighboring vineyard.

Wow - that’s really in your face. I’ve seen one deer in daylight in the three years we have lived here. I’d be going much more nuts if there was a herd coming and going.
We are polluted with them. I've seen herds as large as 25. My nephew hunts them as they need thinned. Last year I had a fawn play with me while I was on a tractor. It would run up near me and then run away a few feet. Then repeat the process. It was not put off by me on the tractor making noise. And I've had bucks in the fall challenge me on the same tractor. Last year I had one hold ground in front of me while stamping his front hooves. I raised the front bucket up high to answer him, he decided it was not a good match up..

Is that electric? If so, bait with aluminum foil strips with a dab of peanut butter. I don't think the deer are trying to jump my four foot electric fence netting but then they have loads of grass to eat.

It astonishes me that you have no grass or weeds. I need a machete to get to my vines after 5 inches of rain last week.Vineyard fence 7.15.22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is set up to be electric but not hooked up. It’s a long way to the nearest outlet so I’m just seeing how they react. Thanks for the tip on baiting the wire - never heard of that one.

As for no weeds or grass, it’s a combination of no rain since April and a lot of sweat over the last couple of weeks. I’ll be planting a cover crop in October so I’m trying to keep things reasonably clean until then

You can use a solar energizer. I've also read about 3-D electric fencing for deer. They can only see one dimension so they think they can't jump the 3-D. Google 3-D electric fence. You can find a lot of information.

According to the 'experts' around here, the deer will not jump a fence they are unsure of. So, that means either tilting the posts a little as they can't figure it out if it's not straight up and down, or (as I do) run a strand of electric fence tape up high. It flutters in the breeze and the movements makes them unsure if it's safe to jump. This works for me. The down side is that the tape will need annual maintenance as the fluttering and movement wears that tape as the fasten points on the posts. Notice in the background of this pic. You can get 8' Tee posts from most farm supply stores. I also run 2x4 fencing at ground level.

IMG_5793.jpg

Some of the smaller Mule deer get spooked by fishing line, so say the pot growers. At least you don't have to deal with the monster white tails most of the horror stories here are referring to. It may work for a while on trafficked game trails??? When they want to jump they really can bounce though.

According to the 'experts' around here, the deer will not jump a fence they are unsure of. So, that means either tilting the posts a little as they can't figure it out if it's not straight up and down, or (as I do) run a strand of electric fence tape up high. It flutters in the breeze and the movements makes them unsure if it's safe to jump. This works for me. The down side is that the tape will need annual maintenance as the fluttering and movement wears that tape as the fasten points on the posts. Notice in the background of this pic. You can get 8' Tee posts from most farm supply stores. I also run 2x4 fencing at ground level.

View attachment 91391
The leaning posts is definitely what the experts say here too. That’s why I used the end posts which lean.

That, and that deer don’t like to jump between two fences. So the next plan is a short perhaps five foot, fence inside the existing fences.

The leaning posts is definitely what the experts say here too. That’s why I used the end posts which lean.

That, and that deer don’t like to jump between two fences. So the next plan is a short perhaps five foot, fence inside the existing fences.
I have seen people erect a five foot fence then add three-foot extensions that angle outward with two single wires. I think the theory is that deer standing at the fence look up and sees the wires overhead. Seems to work.

Latest posts

Back