Quantcast

Starting a backyard Vineyard

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Joseph Morse

Junior
Reaction score
I am thinking of stating my own vineyard in my back yard, but I have no idea what kind of grapes these are, the previous owner i believe planted it, asked the neighbor and she said it has always been there. looked on line had a idea but nothing concrete to lead to say for sure what it is, if anyone knows what these are i would greatly appreciate it, in the pics they are green not full rip yet but in past years I have seen them very purple in color with a thick juice inside.
View media item 4586View media item 4585View media item 4584

GreginND

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is hard to tell from green grapes and leaves. Where do you live and can you tell us anything about the grapes when they are ripe? Green or red? Tart? Taste grapes like concord juice grapes or not?

Joseph Morse

Junior
Reaction score
In past years the grapes where a dark purple color, and when I broke the skin to see the juice inside it was like a very thick dark purple, I have not tasted them yet but when they get ripe I will make a point to do so. I live in Ohio just outside of Toledo.

Joseph Morse

Junior
Reaction score
Well so far my research has led me to conclude these are some kind of wild grape, so the grapes taste sweet, now my next question is can i make wine from these ???

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
Last edited:

CK55

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, looks and sounds like an American native grape to me:

http://articles.extension.org/pages/31132/american-grapes

Depends on what exactly you have if they are worth making wine. See, for example:

https://winefolly.com/review/native-wine-grapes-of-america/

But over all, and in general if you don't know exactly what you have, random American grapes often don't create a great wine. Processing for grape jam, jellies and just grape juice are often better options.
it could also be alicante bouschet as it has dark juice. 2 ways to tell are that alicante bouschet has dark juice, and the leaves turn purple during the fall.

Last edited:

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
it could also be alicante bouschet as it has dark juice. 2 ways to tell are that alicante bouschet has dark juice, and the leaves turn purple during the fall.
Well, sure it may be. But, IMHO, the leaf structure does not look quite right for Alicante Bouschet. Looks more like an American grape leaf than vinifera. But as you mentioned, the OP can just pick a few and look at the juice, even now, to see if the juice is red or not, ergo If it is a teinturier grape or not (but that alone does mean it is Alicante Bouschet since some American grapes are also teinturier grapes).

However, don't confuse real read juice with juice a little "colored" by the skin when squeezing. Real read juice is really red, not just tinted. A photo of one of my teinturier grapes:

Last edited:

Jal5

Reaction score
I think I would do an experimental small batch of wine with them. When ripe pick enough to do 1 or 3 gallons and see what you get. Do jam or jelly with the rest of them. Use a recipe for basic american grape wine. Taste some when ripe and you will get some idea of sweet vs tartness. Plenty of folks will help you with your questions here as you go. Good luck from another Ohioan!

Last edited:

CK55

Banned
Reaction score
Well, sure it may be. But, IMHO, the leaf structure does not look quite right for Alicante Bouschet. Looks more like an American grape leaf than vinifera. But as you mentioned, the OP can just pick a few and look at the juice, even now, to see if the juice is red or not, ergo If it is a teinturier grape or not (but that alone does mean it is Alicante Bouschet since some American grapes are also teinturier grapes).

However, don't confuse real read juice with juice a little "colored" by the skin when squeezing. Real read juice is really red, not just tinted. A photo of one of my teinturier grapes:

Just a suggestion, it might not be but honestly i was trying to help :)

Jal5

Reaction score
There should be some type of agricultural agency near Toledo that you can consult with and bring some leaves and fruit to their office to identify it. Cooperatve extension agency or something like that.
Joe

Latest posts