Started my Second Batch Of Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmh4064

northwoodsgal
Reaction score
I have been busy with work and I thought I better get another batch of wine started before the holidays. I have started a Black Currant from Vinters Harvest Wine base.My SG start was 1090. I added my sugar to boiling water to dissolve this time around unlike my first batch of Peach.Decided to do a 5 gal batch. Will let you know the progress and any questions along the way!!
Tina

Last edited:
Please do let us know the progress! I am going to do a batch with the vintners Kiwi! It is my first batch with canned fruit. Are you using the recipe on the can? :b

Yes please do keep us posted. I was planning on making a batch of wine using the wine bases. I was actually thinking of making a 6 gallon batch with a mixture of the strawberry and kiwi bases. Keep us updated thanks.

Coming along quit nicely! I should be able to rack into my secondary tonight or tomorrow!

Yes I did follow the recipe on the can. But I don't rack until my sg is around 1010.

You are going to love this wine. The Black Currant is my favorite and because of it I have 18 black currant bushes growing in my yard in which I was able to retrieve 15 lbs off of for a 3 gallon batch which is almost done fermenting as we speak. For most of these Vintners Harvest base cans the 5 gallon batch with one can would be very weak but this is possibly the only one that will do a good job with the 1-5 ratio.

Black currant is allowed in your area? I bought three gooseberry bushes a couple of years ago and had to destroy them... didn't realize they were illegal without a permit (and I figured with the white pine nearby a permit might still be a bad idea).

Washuphere? Illegal gooseberries. Please explain why to this dumb Kansas boy.
Brad

Gooseberry and Currant are both of the ribes genus. The ribes are a critical species in the 5 stage fungus White Pine Blister Rust, responsible for the destruction of many pine trees since the 1920s.

An infected white pine can infect a currant or gooseberry plant up to around 300 miles away. The currant/gooseberry suffers few ill effects, but can infect white pines within a few miles. 90% of infected pines die.

As a result, native and imported ribes were destroyed in the 20s and 30s. Today many states still have laws or regulations against the plants, though the federal ban was lifted in the 60s. in New England the impact is now low (as a result of the destruction programs almost 100 years ago), but Rhode Island has a permit requirement. I can't find any overall info, so check your state agricultural regulations.

That was very interesting to find out as I just made my first Gooseberry wine about one month ago

I have to make gooseberry wine and I dont know how to make it. Here I am getting the recipe which is showing all the steps that are being use. But I must wish the luck for the second batch and I hope it do well.

I do will get some better steps of making this wine so that one more different wine will be added in my list.

Racked into the carboy tonight and had enough to put into a wine bottle with airlock to top with!! So excited this time around as I'm more relaxed!!

SG reading on my black currant is .990. Still fermenting and my temp has been a around 68 degrees. Was wondering if I should rack again or just leave it be??:d

So soon? are these a quick wine? never made any current or gooseberry. You don't bulk age these at all? (reason i ask is i usually will bulk age 3-6 months on fruit wines and then back sweeten/ F-pac about a month before i bottle) Just seemed like this was a very fast wine.

I have a Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Waiting to start after the first.

I agree! It does seem like this one is going faster then my first batch. But was done fermenting as reading had been .990 for days in a row. Will let it bulk age and will need to rack again. Not going to bottle until well degassed and clear!!

It is ok that I back sweetened now right????:slp And should I add clearing agent??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back