started my second batch ever...1st frozen fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc294

Reaction score
I'll get specifics on here later, but it is strawberries and raspberries. It smells delicious. Just looking for something I can polish off quickly...and had some left over fruits.

Here's roughly it. (1+ gal)

4lbs strawberries
1lb raspberries
3 lbs sugar
1tsp acids
1tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp tannin

Gonna pitch it tomorrow eve. YAY!

Shoot for a SG around 1.085
Otherwise looks OK

Had to add more sugar. SG was1055. Added another full cup got me to 1080-1085. Pitched yesterday. Smells great. Used cotes de blanc yeast.

Just transferred to secondary(s). SG was 1030 already at day 4. 65 degrees too!! I was kind of surprised. Thought it would have been slower.
100_3123.jpg

100_3122.jpg

100_3121.jpg

100_3121.jpg

update...this wine is delicious. back sweetened with about 1.5 cups. This is what I consider my first successful wine making adventure because my first one was a SunCal kit that...frankly...tastes like drinking white wine with a penny in your mouth. Anyway, I had meant to bottle this strawberry/raspberry but we drank half of it before I had a chance. So, I'm doing everything x 5 and making a 5 Gallon batch. Oh...and it finished out about 15% alcohol...a little much I think but it is still VERY good. Still need to get a bigger primary to do my Island Mist White Cranberry Pinot Grigio. It has been COLD around here so I'm waiting until spring to get these two new ones started. That and I'm balancing more than full time work at the hospital, school, and we just had a baby (son)...so I've been busy.

How did you get 15% with an sg of 1.085? And congrats on the baby. :b

Yes I agree with Mud.
No way its 15% more like 11%
How did you get that #?

Well I got that number from the winecalc that I downloaded but I used the wrong sg. I started right around 1.085 and fermented to 1.000 so that by my math should be like 10.5-ish. I had about 3lbs and 8 oz of sugar to get the 1.085sg.

You must have a triple scal hydeometer. Look @ where 1.085 is. Then look along the scale and you will see "potential alchol" scale and that reads about 11%.
Remember its the starting gravity BEFORE adding yeast that makes the difference.
15% would have a starting gravity of 1.113

update...this wine is delicious. back sweetened with about 1.5 cups. This is what I consider my first successful wine making adventure because my first one was a SunCal kit that...frankly...tastes like drinking white wine with a penny in your mouth. Anyway, I had meant to bottle this strawberry/raspberry but we drank half of it before I had a chance. So, I'm doing everything x 5 and making a 5 Gallon batch. Oh...and it finished out about 15% alcohol...a little much I think but it is still VERY good. Still need to get a bigger primary to do my Island Mist White Cranberry Pinot Grigio. It has been COLD around here so I'm waiting until spring to get these two new ones started. That and I'm balancing more than full time work at the hospital, school, and we just had a baby (son)...so I've been busy.

My first batch of raspberry is bottled and I am really very tempted to try it. So I can understand you drinking half of yours already. What color/clarity did you end up with?
Larry

Latest posts

Back