started my first batch!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmh4064

northwoodsgal
Reaction score
So I started on Tuesday my Vintner's Peach wine base that came with my kit. Doing the 5 gallon recipe.
I got a starting SG reading of 1.085, let sit for 24hrs added yeast yesturday and checked this morning and fermentation is working quite nicely. Does everyone stir everyday for the next few days??? Thanks for your help!!

Nice to see new winemakers. Good luck with your first batch!

When I have wine in the primary I don't stir every day. I usually check it and give it a good stir every few days or so. I don't really think it needs to be stirred daily.

I'm sure a lot of people do it different ways of doing things and they will be along soon to answer any questions you might have.

It really depends on what I'm making as to whether I stir daily or not. Some wines seem to need it, others not so much.

Thanks everyone for your help. I did a stir today as I like the idea of happy yeast:h

Ok so I racked my first batch into the carboy but I didn't have enough to fill it to the neck. What do you add to fill it to the neck?? Just water???
Thanks
Tina

I don't know the specific instructions for your kit, but if it is in the carboy because it is in secondary fermentation, you don't need to top off the carboy, yet. The secondary fermentation is still producing CO2 and that will protect the wine. Make sure you have added an air lock.

If fermentation is completely done and you are at the degas and stabilization stage, top off with a like kind of wine. If you don't have a like kind of wine, use something similar or a merlot wine; just don't use water unless you want a diluted wine. You can also use sanitized, non-painted marbles; just drop them in one at a time until wine level is just into the neck of the carboy. You can buy them at Hobby Lobby in the artificial flower section.

If you have no other choice, go ahead and use water (I can't believe I said to use water!!!), just don't leave it not topped off.

Thank you Robie...This is transferred from my bucket to the carboy as my secondary fermentation. My recipe said to do this transfer when the sg reaches 1040. It was reading 1035 when I transferred. I did add store bought peach wine and a tad of water. Hope this will be fine as I thought it needed to be to the neck of the carboy as not to have this added air. :slp

Brand new to site and interested in wine making, have never done it before. Can anyone suggest a site to get a reasonably priced starter kit.

Thank you Robie...This is transferred from my bucket to the carboy as my secondary fermentation. My recipe said to do this transfer when the sg reaches 1040. It was reading 1035 when I transferred. I did add store bought peach wine and a tad of water. Hope this will be fine as I thought it needed to be to the neck of the carboy as not to have this added air. :slp

That is fine. Really, during secondary fermentation, the wine is still producing CO2. CO2 is heavier than air, so it will set on top of the wine and guard it from oxygen, especially since you have an air lock installed (I am hoping one is installed). As more CO2 is produced, it forces oxygen out the air lock, leaving your wine well protected. But since you topped off already, you will likely have to move some of the wine to a second container in order to have room to degas and stabilize... no problem, though. It all depends on the instructions that came with your wine.

It is after the next steps of degassing and stabilizing that you seriously need to top off the wine, because no more CO2 will be produced to protest the wine and what CO2 was there will have been blown off by degassing.

You are doing fine. It is all a learning process and one has to work pretty hard to actually mess up a kit.

Thanks Robie. Yes I do have a airlock on. I'm keeping all this info in mind when I start another batch!!!

Was wondering how long it takes the second fermentation to start to slow down?? It is normal for it to still be working pretty good. I racked on Monday to a carboy. It is in the dark basement at about 57 degrees.

Ok so I have checked my sg and have been getting a reading of 1.000 for about 3 days now. I have it in the basement at 57 degrees. So should I rack again? My directions say to rack again at 1.000 and add 1 crushed campden per gallon. Is this correct?? And if so should I make sure my wine is topped off??
Thanks
Tina

Latest posts

Back