Started Daylily Wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
smiley1.gif

For completion, here's what it was supposed to look like.
smiley11.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley11.gif

2005-11-21_171424_2005Daylily.jpg

Beautiful label - I think the reverse text is a great idea if the wine is dark.

I mentioned the mascot at one of the other threads. It will be fun to see its
story evolve!
smiley32.gif

Thanks for the input on the label. I was a little sad that it turned out SO PINK!

The orangey color would have been better, I think. I guess yellow is the color that's missing.
smiley18.gif

Martina,

What software do you use to make your labels? I made my first one with word, but it isn't as good as yours.

Steve

I use an older version of Corel. It is very complicated to learn, so that's why I stuck with an older version (8). It does just about anything I want it to do, though. I have to say, it was worth the pains of learning the program.

Thanks for the compliment!

My parents and my husband tested the wines on 2 different occasions:

The general consensus is: A keeper!!!!

I have a big daylily collection too.Your wine looks so pretty ... I think I'll have to try this.

I started my batch today. I decided to try 1 gallon for starters. If I like it I'll make a bigger batch next year. I filled a pot with blooms and brought them inside to clean and remove petals

20060729_132414_DL_paper2.jpg

I tasted each different cultivar before I added it to the pot. There were probably 2 out of 25 or 30 kinds that had a bitter or biting taste. They tatse a little like lettuce. This pile here was almost enough for 2 gallons.I went out and picked a few more and froze enough for the second gallon batch.

20060729_132927_DL_quart2.jpg

Here they are in the primary.

20060729_133046_DL_primary.jpg

I think Martina or Waldo need to add a "How to" for label making to the library above. I have zero artistic talent and need all the help I can get.

Ok folks, today as I was out strolling in the gardens with my wife it got me to thinking about daylily wine. We have made salads and hors d'oeuvers with daylilies so why not. So with that said I thought I would bring back to life this very old thread. I only wish the original poster was still around on the forum to talk to.

I was intrigued and kept reading and then realized how old the thread is! Can anyone describe the taste of the wine? And how does one know which varieties are edible or can be used for wine?

I trimmed back some of my daylilies this spring as they were expanding into my garden. I may have to rethink this if I can make wine out of these flowers.

Latest posts

Back