WineXpert Started a White Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millwright01

pass the wine please
Reaction score
Hi all.
I went to my local shop to pick up my special order Syrah and ended up with a little more than that. If I keep this up I will need to get a second primary fermenter. LOL
If I'm using the term right (newbie) I just pitched the yeast yesterday morningon a WE Selection Original White Zinfandel.
SG 1.085
24*C

The last 2 kits I made I mixed on in primary fermenter on the night before and put the belt on. I add yeast in the morning. I did this because I had some ?yeast taste? in previous wines and thought it might be poor fermentation in my cool room. This forum has been very informative and I realize I probably didn't degass enough either. However thats what I do now and fermentaion starts quickly.

I am reading a lot about Skeeter Pee and am going to join the conversations and give it a shot. Will be a good starter since I am going to take next step with fruit wine this year. (Rhubarb from my garden)
I was going to save the Lees from zinfandel or cherry mist to start the Pee with. Should I mix these or would that be too much?
Do you add more yeast or just the Lees? I am guessing the Lees still have active yeast and all they need is some food to start again so no yeast necessary.
I guess thats enough for now. will keep you informed.

Jason

I just joined the forum and found your post. It has been about 6 weeks and so have you bottled the White Zin yet.

My wife and mother-in-law are both big fans of beringer white zin. So, to show them that this hobby is worth while I was going to try a white zin kit. I was going back and forth between winexpert selection or RJ Spagnols. Do you have any feedback? I know it is probably early to learn how your kit turned out, but did you hear anything from other people?

Thanks

I never heard anything about it from anyone else.
I just bottled it yesterday. It was difficult to get degassed. All my other wines have been no problem. I ended up degassing at 3 different times. I degassed and let clear, racked, degassed and let clear, racked degassed, filtered, bottled. Don't know if that is right or not but it seemed to have worked. I picked up a glass carboy now and am going to try to figure out a way to vacuum degas. Like I said it just hit the bottle yesterday as I needed the carboy. My wife is the zinfandel fan and she said it is pretty decent for being just to the bottle. I thought it was good as well.
Oh yeah, welcome aboard. Lots of good info and helpful members here. I have learned lots.

I made and bottled the Selection White Zinfandel about a month ago. Funny you brought up Beringer's as we compared/tested it against Beringer's. The color was exact and so was the taste two weeks after bottling. I can't wait to taste it three months from now. This is a very good kit and I did not have any problems with it. When I do step three i rack it to a primary bucket to stabilize add any fpacks and degas with the fizz-x. I then splash rack back to the carboy with a vacuum pump and degas once again with the vacuum pump.

Just started my first kit (White Zinfandel)

My second femintation is should be up in just a few days. Hydrometer readings are right on the money and hope to start clarification and degassing within the week. This is our first time at kit wine making or any wine making for that matter. So far it has been very easy and we are going by the WineXpert instructions. We are looking forward to getting it in the bottle and have a glass sometime around Thankgiving! Just joined this group and I'm looking forward to learning more about my new hobby!!

My wife also likes White Zin. I have done 18 gallons of Wine Experts Vintners Reserve White Zin and she, her friends and relatives love it. It's ready to bottle in 30 days. Problem is it doesn't have time to age the additional 30 days in the bottle before it's consumbend.

Man, you really need to make a batch and hide it so that it has some time to really age properly!

I've tried. Believe me it just doesn't work. What ever keeps the wife happy so I can continue to persue this crazy addictive hobby then so be it.

I did the RJ Spagnols Grand Cru White Zin back in June. Everything went well and bottled in late July. Tried some 1 month after bottling (~ 2 months from beginning) and it was hot and very green. My wife tried another bottle after 2 months and said it still needs some time.

Given my wife and mother-in-law like white zin I will probably try the winexpert kits (VR or selection). I'll post when I have any comparisons.

Hi Jason,
You post a great article and I am very impressed by your description ,its valuable and easy to understand.Keep us posting so we will come to know about creative things.:h

You can get information about wide varieties of wine by winegrowersdirect.com.au,I visit this site and its fabulous.

Color issue with WE Vintner Reserve White Zinfandel

I purchased the WE Vintner Reserve White Zinfandel. All my readings have been spot on and have followed the directions to a tee. I am 2 weeks away from bottling and the color is a very dark burgundy in the carboy. I sampled a taste and it's is delicious. Only problem is that the color in the sample glass is a light brown vs blush/rose. I am fairly new to winemaking and have not made this Zinfandel before. Is this to be expected? Did something go wrong along he way? Although I would certainly drink it, it might be a little tough serving this "brown" concoction to my friends. I look forward to your feedback.

I've done a few zins and blush kits, sounds like your first one, generally when the wine clears after degassing and fining the color is lighter when clear, sometime zins and blush kits look like red wine when i make them but they always end up lighter at the end.

Color issue with WE Vintner Reserve White Zinfandel

Okay, I am 5 days away from bottling my White Zinfandel and the color remains brownish but very clear. I took a reading and it is 1.030, not sure what it should be this close to bottling. Don't think the color or the SG will change in 5 days. Any idea on what range a final reading should be? Any suggestions on what I can do to enhance the color? I definitely don't want to serve "brown" wine.

I made an Eclipse Lodi Zinfandel in the past and it was awesome.

If your wine is only at 1.030 you will not be bottling in 5 days, remember the instructions are not to be taken exactly they are for guidance. Let the wine tell you what is your next step. I have not done that kit but I think the instructions might say to let the wine finish to "dry" below 1.000 then you need to degas like someirishman said and let the sediment drop out. Maybe you can bottle in a couple of weeks.

TXWineDuo

The last zin I made finished at fg 0.992 so you are miles and miles away from bottling yet bud, hows your temps? You will need to wait alot longer unless you want bottle bombs or sugar wine. id say test sg in 2 to 3 weeks and see how its getting on, either way dont bottle now. I also don't know how it could be clear if its still fermenting and at 1.030, is it clear like water?

Latest posts

Back