Started a French Rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up 2 of these, one done as stock and the other swapping out the 1118 for 71B, just like the original post. The stock one is fine but the one with 71B stalled @ 1.000. I'm a homebrewer, so it is fermenting in a stainless steel SSBrewBucket with full temperature control. I swirled up the yeast, and raised the temp to 73 (was set at 70). A few points off is not much of a problem, just wondering if 71B has a lower attenuation than the 1118 monster. I suspect I should not worry about it unless someone else thinks there are reasons I should...

When at all possible always us a brew belt it aids in complete fermantation. Unless your work are is over 72 degrees.

So let me ask this here. As a beer brewer, I know that if I'm teaching someone to brew a hefe, the Wyeast 3068 says it can brew from 64-75F but if I want to make a hefe with a perfect balance of clove and banana flavor, there is a MUCH finer range of temperatures for me to use this particular yeast variety (and why we invest in glychol chillers and automation for competition brewing). I suspect, knowing what little I do know about wine yeasts, that the same kind of specificity (not only temperature but also Fermaid k+DAP/Fermaid O and nutrient additions like those found in cider and meads) are probably out there. However, it seems to be a little illusive to the newbie. Besides RTFM, is there some more general locale for information on what something like how 71B behaves under a variety of conditions? The time-to-evaluation is a lot longer for wine than for beer... Appreciate any insights.

So let me ask this here. As a beer brewer, I know that if I'm teaching someone to brew a hefe, the Wyeast 3068 says it can brew from 64-75F but if I want to make a hefe with a perfect balance of clove and banana flavor, there is a MUCH finer range of temperatures for me to use this particular yeast variety (and why we invest in glychol chillers and automation for competition brewing). I suspect, knowing what little I do know about wine yeasts, that the same kind of specificity (not only temperature but also Fermaid k+DAP/Fermaid O and nutrient additions like those found in cider and meads) are probably out there. However, it seems to be a little illusive to the newbie. Besides RTFM, is there some more general locale for information on what something like how 71B behaves under a variety of conditions? The time-to-evaluation is a lot longer for wine than for beer... Appreciate any insights.

Not so much an issue with winemaking. General rules are white wines are better at lower temps (say around 62-65 F) and red wines need to get higher for a day at least, say around 80F. If you are doing wine kits, they all say keep it around 70F or warmer, I generally keep everything cooler to try to hold in as much of the aroma components as possible. You will also find with wine, that most of us do red wines with an open ferment, generally covered by the lid, but no airlock or use a linen cloth held in place. But winekits say always have an airlock in place. I haven't noticed a whole bunch of difference, except when fermenting from grapes, I like to let my reds get warm for at least a day to help set the color.

I just finished bottling this kit. I made it as per the instructions, and I am very pleased!

Started the RJS Rose on 4/20. So far so good. Can’t wait to see this dark red turn to a Rose color! Considering adding some FT Blanc soft but we’ll see how it turns out first

finished Rose'.....................................

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 23
Started our Rose’ yesterday, no fpac, but 1/2 tsp of orange zest and a mix of EC1118 and Red Star Premier Cuvée Champagne yeast. Initial SG is 1.092 and it is happily bubbling away. Did two batches last year and did the Grapefruit zest on one and a mix of Grapefruit and Lemon zest as suggested by Joe. Both of those came out fine and some how disappeared. Thought a different Citrus this year would be interesting and I had some extra Red Star yeast so what the heck.

Bottled my French rose after about 7 weeks, back sweetened and added a slight tinge of pear. Had an excess of about 1/2 bottle and drank the other night. Excellent taste especially after aerating in glass for a few minutes, gets rid of any chemical residual.
on a side note when I back sweetened used about 2/3 rds of potassium sorbet and 1/6th of sulfite ( hate chemicals). Did the same with my piesporter about 4 months ago, no issue and no chemical taste. Trick is to spend the extra time to clean properly.

View attachment 61533

Not super happy with the color on this RJS French Rose. Started 4/21 and it has not gotten any lighter

It will not turn a light red colour like some store bought but will remain a clear red. If you go to the liquor store you will notice some rose wines with the deeper red colour versus the lighter red colour.
To me the colour is okay but the taste is very good especially for a young wine.

View attachment 61533

Not super happy with the color on this RJS French Rose. Started 4/21 and it has not gotten any lighter
Not sure about the kit makers intention here, French rose wine differs quite a bit in color depending on the region. If not mistaken south west Rose can be quite "dark" but from the your picture I would have guest a white Zinfandel rather than a french style rose. If I would have got something that dark when ordering Socca and Rose in Nice I would have screamed! (btw the waiters at these cafes can make you want to scream but that another story).

I prefer pale Provence style rose anf if that was what you were expecting, then I understand if you are disappointed. What's the taste like?

Not sure about the kit makers intention here, French rose wine differs quite a bit in color depending on the region. If not mistaken south west Rose can be quite "dark" but from the your picture I would have guest a white Zinfandel rather than a french style rose. If I would have got something that dark when ordering Socca and Rose in Nice I would have screamed! (btw the waiters at these cafes can make you want to scream but that another story).

I prefer pale Provence style rose anf if that was what you were expecting, then I understand if you are disappointed. What's the taste like?

Thanks for your comments. It’s marketed as a Provence style Rose which is why I was expecting that light pink color. The flavor is coming along, very heavy strawberry right now. Should turn out to be a decent wine for next summer I am just disappointed in the color!

Yes strawberry is the key make an fpac of fresh strawberries add them to the primary they'll enhance color ,finish and flavor.

The flavor is coming along, very heavy strawberry right now.
Now, that might not be what you would expect from a Provence rose, I would expect touches of berry flavors rather than anything heavy. So in my humble view an fpac is not appropriate if you would do a "true" Provence rose. Joeswine suggestion would perhaps make a a very nice rose but perhaps not a Provence rose.

Maybe they are targeting an american audience used to blush roses rather than Provence style rose?

Latest posts

Back