Started a French Rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTS84

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to the LHBS the other day and picked a rjs French Rose kit. I was asked if this would be my Christmas wine - I said I was hoping for next summer. This is my 3rd kit.

I started the kit 2 days ago per directions only swapping out the yeast for 71B. No other deviations so far, and it's fermenting at 64 degrees. I am thinking later I will want to give the wine a small hint of oak and slightly back sweeten.

After reading threads from joeswine, I was tempted to try making an fpack and following his tweaks for the kit - then I thought it better to stay with the instructions and learn the base before doing anything crazy. I was hoping to taste when I move to secondary and then decide if I want to do anything more - some questions I have -
If I add grapefruit zest in the secondary how will it change the taste? I keep finding descriptions of brightness, but would this add some citrus notes?
Someone else likes Rose's with a flavors of a "hint of tropical fruit", any way to add some of that?
Any others suggestions? Going for a slightly off dry Rose for summer '20.

I am starting to read again "when good wines gone bad" from the beginning, might not finish before I need to make more decisions with this wine.

Thanks

A strawberry fpac works , outstandingly. 16ozs. Just either fruit for a spot of flavor. No oak, around 12%abv.

any taste test right way post fermentation will be invalid. the wine will contain CO2 that will make it seem harsh. wait at lest two to three months before taste test. I added some grapefruit zest to mine and it did add some citrus notes donot use to much. I think a strawberry or cherry addition would be more compatible.

I might just go for the strawberries - depending on what I find for fresh quality at the store, I also have the option of the ones in my freezer.

Good to know that the grapefruit would add citrus notes, that helps for future thoughts.

After clearing I will probably move a gallon aside to play with a little oak - I have had oaked rosés that I liked before, and feel the need to try. I might fail, but I'm ok with a gallon of risk.

So- finish in the primary, move to secondary with a fpack, clear, split off a gallon for my own playing, backsweeten the remaining five and bottle -

Next summer I might need to stock up on cherries as that sounds interesting too. Trying to get something that the wife and I will both enjoy which is its own challenge.

My 2c worth. Do you like traditional dry rose? Yes? Then just make this to spec. I made this 18 months ago and it’s fantastic with nothing changed except the sorbate not being added.

I did this kit for my 2019 summer wine. I added a strawberry fpac and some pectanese to get it to clear, fermented to dry and then backsweetened to taste.

It was a big hit.

We still have two bottles left for my daughters at Thanksgiving dinner. Then I’ll have to figure out what next summer’s wine will be. Good planning to start that wine now, btw.

Last edited:
A cheap zin kit ,control the ABV and add the rest of a whole grapefruit,it should come out clean,crisp and pleasent to the taste buds.its a winner.

I did this kit for my 2019 summer wine. I added a strawberry fpac and some pectanese to get it to clear, fermented to dry and then backsweetened to taste.

It was a big hit.

We still have two bottles left for my daughters at Thanksgiving dinner. Then I’ll have to figure out what next summer’s wine will be. Good planning to start that wine now, btw.

I did the same, but haven't really consumed much so far. It is good and fruity - I did not back sweeten.

I did the same, but haven't really consumed much so far. It is good and fruity - I did not back sweeten.

It was fun. My wife and I did trials until it was just sweet enough for her, but not too sweet for me. I think it only took 350ml of simple syrup in 6 gallons of wine to get us home. I will definitely do another RJS Rose... just not sure if it’s going to be this one or the higher end Pinot Noir Rose.

It was fun. My wife and I did trials until it was just sweet enough for her, but not too sweet for me. I think it only took 350ml of simple syrup in 6 gallons of wine to get us home. I will definitely do another RJS Rose... just not sure if it’s going to be this one or the higher end Pinot Noir Rose.

At some point soon, I'm going to do a side by side test of yours and mine. For my taste, I would have preferred a bit more acid or tannin in mine. But I wanted to just give it time instead to see if the fruit falls back. I should probably think about starting another one of those so it's ready for next summer.

I love a dry rosé. I made this kit this year and was very satisfied. Fermented out to dry, added nothing. Not quite like a good Provence rosé but nice. A bit deeper color that the French wine. I might try an fpac next year, sounds intriguing.

Seeing the comments and discussions on this have been reassuring. Knowing what the wife and I both liked last year I am going to try the grapefruit.

In the spring my local store will put on a wine tasting, then I can will be able to try more kits made per manufacturer instructions and I plan on taking notes. The thought of being able to push kits in the direction of what we like is what got me to try making them. I have a head full of ideas and am excited about this one. Going to take it slow though and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

An update on the results-
I did end up using 1 whole grapefruit in the secondary. Upon backsweetening we hit a magic spot where it started off with a strawberry flavor, followed by a light fruity/citrus, and then with what I can only describe as a "Pop of grapefruit".

The wife liked it so much she started giving some out as Christmas presents, to which we have received very good reviews. Then instead of complaining that I spent too much on a kit, it was "why don't you have your own labels? There is nothing covering the cork, can you get cover things?"

I did set aside one quart and added 1 med Hungarian oak cube to it. On day two I noted that the wine was much softer and didn't taste any oaky flavor. It was definitely an improvement in my opinion. Then I got a cold and bottled it on day 5 or 6 out of fear over over doing it and not being able to taste things well.

Thanks for the help - we are really happy with the end result! Next will be to plan something for me, but I'll have to wait until March to start.

French Rosé'...follow the flow..

Attachments

• IMG_20170504_145839566_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20170504_145839566_TOP.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 32
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 16a1.jpg
    16a1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 16a2.jpg
    16a2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 29
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 30
The only concern I have with this kit is how much will be left for summer. It keeps getting better every time we try a bottle. Good thing summer here is that one day between last winter and next winter.

After doing this, I can understand how the strawberry fpack would go good with it.

Latest posts

Back