Started a Cabernet Eclipse Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braden

Reaction score
Just started my Cabernet Sauvignon yesterday. Started fermenting this morning and getting a lot of action in the air lock. Anyone ever try using this kit? How did it turn out for you? Really excited about this one considering the use of grape skins and hopefully it makes a difference. Happy Fermenting everyone!

Just started my Cabernet Sauvignon yesterday. Started fermenting this morning and getting a lot of action in the air lock. Anyone ever try using this kit? How did it turn out for you? Really excited about this one considering the use of grape skins and hopefully it makes a difference. Happy Fermenting everyone!
We've made that one three times over the years. It's been consistently good. Take your time.

Just completed the Australian Shiraz. Bottles and letting them sleep for a few months.
Moving on to this kit as well next week.
Hoping someone posts some hints or tips to make it even better.

I just started two of the Stags Leap Merlot. Together in one trash can, no real lid on them, just lightly covered. Changed up the yeast to Rhone 4600, increased the starting sg, just a little bit, and added extra tannin. This is my second time making this kit. I think it might be my favorite out of the ones I have made.

The Eclipse reds all come with a good sized grape pack (okay - except the Pinot). I’ve done the Lodi cab, Zin, Merlot, Nebbiolo, Forza and (just started) the Three Moons Cab.

I was underwhelmed by the Lodi cab. YMMV. The others were very good, especially with a couple years of aging.

I just finished the last bottle of my 2016 WE Lodi cab. My final notes on this one were as follows:

“2/23/20: After 4 years this one is only so-so at best and never really changed after the first year. Pretty jammy tasting and nothing like any commercial Cab I have ever tasted. Overall very underwhelming and should not bother making again.”

This wine was bulk aged and properly cellared so it had everything going for it as far as aging. People kept saying that it would get better with time so I made another in 2017. That second batch is pretty much the same and I don’t have much hope it will improve. I basically use it as top up wine at this point.

YMMV and I wish you the best of luck but this one is perfectly off my list after going 0 for 2...

I just finished the last bottle of my 2016 WE Lodi cab. My final notes on this one were as follows:

“2/23/20: After 4 years this one is only so-so at best and never really changed after the first year. Pretty jammy tasting and nothing like any commercial Cab I have ever tasted. Overall very underwhelming and should not bother making again.”

This wine was bulk aged and properly cellared so it had everything going for it as far as aging. People kept saying that it would get better with time so I made another in 2017. That second batch is pretty much the same and I don’t have much hope it will improve. I basically use it as top up wine at this point.

YMMV and I wish you the best of luck but this one is perfectly off my list after going 0 for 2...
I sincerely appreciate your input on this. I have this cellaring now (started on 12-29-19) I substituted the kit-supplied yeast (EC-1118) with RC-212, and added 6 g. of FT Rouge in primary. It’s too young to get a good feel on this. What yeast did you use for your 2 batches? Maybe there’s something I can do now to help ward off that jamminess you referred to. A cellaring tannin maybe. I don’t like that in a cab. A Zin? Definitely.

I sincerely appreciate your input on this. I have this cellaring now (started on 12-29-19) I substituted the kit-supplied yeast (EC-1118) with RC-212, and added 6 g. of FT Rouge in primary. It’s too young to get a good feel on this. What yeast did you use for your 2 batches? Maybe there’s something I can do now to help ward off that jamminess you referred to. A cellaring tannin maybe. I don’t like that in a cab. A Zin? Definitely.

I checked my records and both were made with EC-118. I am not sure but for some reason I get a jammy taste with all of the WE Eclilse kits and this one happens to be the most pronounced.

Hope yours turns out more to your liking!

I checked my records and both were made with EC-118. I am not sure but for some reason I get a jammy taste with all of the WE Eclilse kits and this one happens to be the most pronounced.

Hope yours turns out more to your liking!
Thx js. In light of your experience with this one in particular, I’ll be tasting this as I experiment with some changes. Fingers crossed!

Hi Braden - I just purchased the Cab as well, literally an hour ago. I have been reading to keep the lid loose during fermentation as it could blow the lid off. Was your lid tight? I would assume the bung air lock could handle. Thanks in advance

Hi Braden - I just purchased the Cab as well, literally an hour ago. I have been reading to keep the lid loose during fermentation as it could blow the lid off. Was your lid tight? I would assume the bung air lock could handle. Thanks in advance

You always want to keep the lid loose during primary fermentation. The yeast need O2 to do their work. Don’t snap the lid down until near the end of fermentation.

Quick question guys on Lodi Eclipse cab:
Today is day 14 of fermentation. Going to rack tomorrow.
Original SG reading of 1.080
Stabilizing SG .994
Sooooo ABV = 132.715 x (1.080-.994) = 11.41%
I thought I had read somewhere it would be 14%.
Is this correct? The SG is correct according to the directions. Thanks in advance!

Quick question guys on Lodi Eclipse cab:
Today is day 14 of fermentation. Going to rack tomorrow.
Original SG reading of 1.080
Stabilizing SG .994
Sooooo ABV = 132.715 x (1.080-.994) = 11.41%
I thought I had read somewhere it would be 14%.
Is this correct? The SG is correct according to the directions. Thanks in advance!

This kit had skins, right? Was the SG reading of 1.080 right after adding the skins, or did you wait some time? Skins add about 0.015 to the SG, in my experience, but it takes a day or two for the sugar to come out from the skins.

Thanks Paul. That totally makes sense.
Yes the reading was exactly 1.080. So SG =1.095 the ABV = about 13.40% That’s more like it! Thanks!

I had 1 bottle left from a 2014 batch that I was saving for a special occasion down in the cellar. Cracked it tonight for a date with the wife and it was fantastic. This kit has some real aging potential. One of my all-time favorites.

Latest posts

Back