WineXpert Start with a Kit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui Joe

Reaction score
My best experience is to start with a kit. All is provided and "if" you follow the steps, it all should come out ok. If tempted to experiement with your own, I would suggest a 1-gallon experiement be in order. Not much is lost is it doesn't work out. But if it's good for you, "I hope that you took good notes!"

My 2 cents on the subject.

I am fairly new at winemaking. I did not start with a kit..I wanted to see if I could make a true homemade wine. I made a gallon batch of raspberry wine. I bought the raspberries....pressed them myself....etc etc. It was a learning experience. So far the wine is turning out well. I know since it is my first it will not be the best wine ever but I like te sense of accomplishment by actully making wine from fruit. :)

Last evening I started a 1-gallon "Pineapple." Tonight the yeast gets introduced. The sugar used in this case was "cane-granulated white." Later this week I'll do another 1-gallon, same recipe only this time I will be using the "Raw-cane sugar." This is a sugar that is sold over the counter in grocery stores, served in restaurants for coffee, etc. The "crystals" are larger and not refined. They have a "honey" color to them, I would think that it is the "molasses" and it has a whole different taste-quite like a carmel flavor.

Anyone else tried this sugar yet?

I have customers that have started both ways, from scratch and from kits. It really just depends on how much time you have. The luxury of a kit is that the "balancing" and pressing is done for you. The downside is the lack of solids which give the wine more "character", i.e., body and aroma, as well as the ability to age longer. The kit is also fairly foolproof. Staring from fresh fruit is more risky.

Just remember, "the better the fruit, the better the wine".

since there are a lot of kits, what would you recommend to start out with?

Latest posts

Back