Start-up Equipment/Materials List

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any advice would be welcome! Not listed: two 2gal buckets w/lids, spray bottle(s), big spoon. Thanks!

Check out my list on Amazon
I found several “Starter Sets” on different sites and ended up with the Deluxe Starter Set (several on Amazon too). I found the starter sets included most everything I needed to produce a Kit; mine was a mid-tier Cab from WE. The kit included 7 1/2 gal fermenter, airlock, auto-syphon, wine thief, hydrometer, k-meta, and other items, all at a better cost than piece meal. Of course, it will hook you into “oh I need that too” that this adventure brings on.

It is a lot of fun, and this site has so many sources of information & experienced people who are great at answering questions, you don’t even know to ask yet. You’ve come to the right place!

The list will vary depending on what you're making and how large the batches are. For 5/6 gallon kits or similar sizes of grape or fruit wines -- equipment kits are the most economical choice.

The type of wine will also influence the additives list, e.g., if making kits, most additives are in the kit.

If making 1 or 2 gallon batches, Campden tablets are the way to go, as measuring powdered K-meta in small doses is difficult to get right. OTOH, if making 5+ gallon batches, Campden are a pain to work with, so powdered K-meta is both easier and cheaper.

For hardware? A generic list includes:

Hydrometer
Siphon Stem / racking tube
6' Siphon Tubing
Bottle Brush and possibly Carboy Brush
Air Lock + drilled stopper for each container

Corker
Spring Loaded Bottle Filler

Has anyone got a source for a GOOD bottle brush? I ordered a new one last fall to replace the on I've had for 7 years and it was useless after washing just 2 bottles. The bristles were thin and just flattened out. I'm looking for one that has a lot of stiff bristles.

Back