Other StarSan into wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facn1989

Reaction score
What happens if you drop a few drops of star san in the wine or it gets sucked in through airlock when moving buckets/carboys around?

What about residual star san? after I sanitize I give everything a quick rinse. Is that ok?

I'm stubborn. I rinse everything despite the instructions. But I am freaked out when I remove an air-lock and vacuum pressure sucks a few drops of liquid into the wine. I have learned to remove them slowly. Need to start using vodka in the air locks, that wouldn't freak me out.

I actually never felt comfortable with the foam from StarSan either, in spite of advice. It’s a hard thing to accept. Instead of rinsing I quickly switched back to ol’ faithful
K-meta/citric sanitizer.
Airlocks too. After seeing Kmeta sucked in or wine overflow into em during MLF I now just use water the in airlock until after MLF. And then use vented waterless bungs soon after.

I started out making beer and the only sanitizer I've ever used is Star San with no rinsing. Never had any issues and never heard of one from any other brewer I know. I leave foam in everything (fermenters, carboys, bottling bucket, bottles). As AkTom mentioned, yeast like the stuff.

People who fear this stuff crack me up. The boogeyman doesn't hide in the foam. Just picture it as fluffy wine nutrient.

What convinced me not to "fear the foam" was to just taste some of the damn stuff. It's nothing! We have negative associations with foam that LOOKS LIKE StarSan, but it just ain't so.

Thanks for the info. I always assumed that would introduce unnecessary chemicals to my wine.

What happens if you drop a few drops of star san in the wine or it gets sucked in through airlock when moving buckets/carboys around?

What about residual star san? after I sanitize I give everything a quick rinse. Is that ok?
I use to use k meta for everything before i heard about starsan and than rinse, now i was told it defeats the purpose when you rinse. Maybe ive been lucky on the first two kits i did but i never had an issue. Now i use k-meta to sanitize my buckets and carboys and starsan for spoons and such. I use a spray bottle with k-meta and spray a bunch in my carboys and buckets. Than i stick my siphon and tubes in the carboy or bucket and spray inside the tubing a bunch of times and the outside than let it sit for 10 minutes or so. After letting it sit i drain the carboy shake the tubing and proceed to racking without rinsing. I use starsan for my spoons and wine theif/hydrometer wait 30 seconds to a minute and shake off the excess than i dont rinse. So far i have never had an issue with this either. I also use starsan in a spray bottle on the plates of my buon vino filter and run k-meta through the pump assembly without rinsing. Bottom line is i stopped rinsing which works well for me since i have my water trucked in and i dont like wasting and its been fine. Rinsing at this point does nothing and could potentially introduce more bacteria.

I use vodka in my airlocks. If I get suck back, it just boosts my ABV.

K
I use vodka in my airlocks. If I get suck back, it just boosts my ABV.
K meta works aswell in the airlocks. K meta disapates over time anyways plus its in the wine to begin with. I have never had a stalled fermentation yet from not rinsing my carboys after sanitizing with k meta.

My son used StarSan for brewing, but I use Potassium Metabisulfite for winemaking - sanitizing, air locks, etc. If any gets into the wine it just aids in prohibiting spoilage.

My son used StarSan for brewing, but I use Potassium Metabisulfite for winemaking - sanitizing, air locks, etc. If any gets into the wine it just aids in prohibiting spoilage.

Can't Potassium Metabisulfite stall fermentation? Although I assume in such low quantities it will have no effect

Can't Potassium Metabisulfite stall fermentation? Although I assume in such low quantities it will have no effect

Nah. Almost nothing will stop active fermentation Plus Hes not referring to fermentation anyway I think. Airlocked with Kmeta as it ages. No need to airlock during active fermentation. Instructions on my first kit was the first time I’ve ever seen that done. But another “no way is wrong” type of things.
Kmeta can hurt an MLF in progress however, which can linger for months after fermentation. I love the waterless vented bungs and solely use them after wine is stable.

While messing with a universal bung that didn't want to stay down in my glass carboy, I dumped an entire airlocks worth of star san solution into the wine (believe it was Viognier). Wine turned out to be one of the best whites I've had in years! I don't know if the lesson there is to purposefully dump star san into your wine, but I know for me it means that it's fine if I do :)

Cheers!
Bryan

Latest posts

Back