Starsan...and then what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt that it is CO2. The wine was made last fall and has been sitting in the SS tank until last week which is 6 months. If they are StarSan bubbles ... I can understand that StarSan is used more in the weer brewing world where such bubbles would go unnoticed in a glass of beer with beer foam on top. I still think that a proper StarSan solution is great for sanitizing the bottles at bottling time. Or is there a better alternative?

According to Five Star, the makers of Star San, their product breaks down into sugar and adds extra nutrients... here is their FAQ. I don’t know that it would still foam after sitting that long~ they even say it’s not good after an hour. I’ve been following the advice here as well and haven’t had any problems in using it or tasting it either. Perhaps they ‘have’ to say it’s not good after an hour but it could last for much longer. As they say, if it’s foaming it‘s working. Just more info to add to the clarity... LOL

I keep a 5gal HD bucket of Distilled + Star San for All my sanitizing. Typically 3/4s filled....add Both to it as needed. Been using for Years....Zero issues ✌ Top on between uses.

Cheers!

According to Five Star, the makers of Star San, their product breaks down into sugar and adds extra nutrients... here is their FAQ. I don’t know that it would still foam after sitting that long~ they even say it’s not good after an hour. I’ve been following the advice here as well and haven’t had any problems in using it or tasting it either. Perhaps they ‘have’ to say it’s not good after an hour but it could last for much longer. As they say, if it’s foaming it‘s working. Just more info to add to the clarity... LOL

I also keep and reuse my Star San solution. I have seen people suggest a few ways to see if it is still good:
* Is it clear rather than cloudy?
* Is the pH under 3.5?
* Does it foam up (this is not as reliable as a test)

If it fails any one of those tests, I discard it and make a new batch. More information here: What’s the Shelf Life of Star San? – Testing Star San’s Effectiveness

Here is a good discussion on this question: Sanitation: How long does Star-San stay good for (mixed up)?

Latest posts

Back