Starsan...and then what?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

sjjan

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt that it is CO2. The wine was made last fall and has been sitting in the SS tank until last week which is 6 months. If they are StarSan bubbles ... I can understand that StarSan is used more in the weer brewing world where such bubbles would go unnoticed in a glass of beer with beer foam on top. I still think that a proper StarSan solution is great for sanitizing the bottles at bottling time. Or is there a better alternative?

David Violante

Reaction score
According to Five Star, the makers of Star San, their product breaks down into sugar and adds extra nutrients... here is their FAQ. I don’t know that it would still foam after sitting that long~ they even say it’s not good after an hour. I’ve been following the advice here as well and haven’t had any problems in using it or tasting it either. Perhaps they ‘have’ to say it’s not good after an hour but it could last for much longer. As they say, if it’s foaming it‘s working. Just more info to add to the clarity... LOL

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Five Star also has a similar product called Saniclean which is indicated as low foaming.

Latest posts